New to Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex4R

In Runtime
I recently upgraded my system (well, more like built a new one as all I used was my modem...).

I did have a hand me down PC from an office that got new ones, it had an Intel Celeron 400Mhz processor, 4gb maxtor, and 64mb of ram. If you can imagine, it was SLOW. So not long ago I bought a new mobo/processor combo. It is a Biostar K7 with an AMD Sempron 2200+. I also had to buy RAM as my old chips wouldn't work with the new mainboard. Then, after realizing that I still had some lag from my damn HDD, I wen't and picked up an 80gb 7200rpm Maxtor. It only costed me a total of about $350 with everything, but that was $350 that I worked my ass off for so I don't want to mess anything up.

My question is, if I overclocked, would I really notice much of a difference with my setup? I read the sticky about the basics of overclocking, and I am considering trying it if I will really notice a difference. I really want to keep my eye on PC temps, but I don't know where in Windows XP I can do that, or if I even can. If not, is there a program I can download to monitor the temps?

Thanks for any help!

What type of cooling do you have in you system first?

And Overclocking the CPU, and the Mobo is done in BIOS(Basic Input Output System). Overclocking you video card is done through programs such as Coolbits for Nvidia cards and ATI tool for Radeon's) and thier are others out there just search google.

Note**
If you do decide to OC good cooling is recommended.

Generally the motherboard comes with software to monitor temps. Or you could try a program such as motherboard monitor 5 or Speedfan, both of which you'll need to know the manufacturer and make of your particular board.

You will only notice a difference if you push it far enough to get a decent amount of gain.

The Sempron is the low end processor series so as it is they aren't very powerful so you'd have to overclock pretty high before you actually noticed a difference in your system.

Keep in mind CPU speed isn't all that makes a system fast especially now-a-days, when you have to have high speed RAM and CPU to make a noticeable difference. Read up and make sure you have adequate enough options as in being able to lock the AGP bus so that you can fiddle around with the FSB of your cpu.

Honestly you probably won't actually 'feel' it go faster unless you've OC'd your RAM and CPU to fit on a 1:1 ratio so they communicate at the same speed.

If you OC your CPU you gotta make sure your RAM can keep up. So if you OC your CPU beyond your RAM then you're creating a bottleneck which basically makes that extra clock speed go to waste.

like nubius said... it is very important to verify that the cpu and ram are running with a 1:1 ratio.

Is there a way for me to find out what my RAM's speed is? I am using the stock cooling fan right now, I have 2 intakes and 2 exhaust fans in my case. I plan on getting a CPU cooler within the next week, due to the fan noise.

Thanks for the replies!

Alex4R, im not trying to make you feel bad, but you could of really got a better processor. Something like a 2800XP or 3200XP. But your not screwed. If you want some serious OC gain, i would First get a totaly new case. With this case, Modding some High Out-Put fans would help ALOT. Again a high Out-Put CPU fan, and a nice heatsink would help. Dont forget cases you can always use again, unlike a out dated mobo or processor. So a new case is not a waste of money.

Like Nubius said, your gonna have to OC that baby alot to get some real results. Believe it or not, what i just suggested is the most simple way to get started on some OC.

The XP-Mobiles are the best OC'able processors because of low Vcore, wattage = less heat, but also because they have unlocked multis.

Santoast, A couple of days ago you were talking about overclocking your BIOS and HD and raising your pci to 100mhz. What are you doing in this forum giving people advice?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom