Say "Good-Bye" to landlines?

What will be the biggest game between now and next year on the PS2.

• GRAND THEFT AUTO - SIN CITY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TRUE CRIME - STREETS OF LA

• FIFA 2004

• PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER 3

• SIMPSONS HIT AND RUN

• Or another game by a 3rd party company!!!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shakie

Fully Optimized
Landlines are flatining. In the US, 18 percent of telephone users now regard their mobile handset as their primary phone. And after decades of unimpeded growth, the nubmer of hardwired phone numbers actually decreased from 1999 to 2000. In places like Japan and Europe, where wireless subscribers now out number wireline subscribers, the slide is even more precipitous.
Don't think your local phone company isn't painfully aware of the facts. On average, the major telcos watched their wireline revenue drop five percent and wireless gain 11 percent last year.
While the landline might not be ready to join the typewriter and the mimeograph in a museum of obsolete technology, a growing number of Americans have opted to cut the cord completely. Nowhere is that clearer than among college students and yound adults, more than 10 percent of whom now rely exclusively on cell phones. Overall, roughly three percent of US households have let go of the landlines; an additional eight percent are expected to follow suit during the next five years.
To add insult to injury, even Americans with landlines are now spending more time chatting on wireless phones. "We have crossed the threshold," says Keith Mallinson of The Yankee Group, a research firm. Even prices are coming down. The average monthy bill for a mobile number has dropped from $51 in 1995 to $48 today. By contrast, the average local wireline bill has jumped from $30 in 1995 to about $35 today. Analysts say it won't be long before the prices for both types of service even out. Let's hope reception quality isn't far behind. -Tom Stein, Wired Magazine, Issue 11.08

So here's the question: Are you cutting your landline for your mobile?

i would go with a satellite phone if cable was available in my area, but a cellular phone doenst get good reception where i live and the only high speed is satellite (hahahahaha, yeah freaking right, no one can afford that crap) its either $578 for the install and $69.99 a month or $99.00 for the install and $99.00 a month for the first 2 years, then $69.00 a month after that, plus you have to sign a 2 year contract, but it is 512k, still too expensive, so i say no, im sticking with my land line for now and with the advent of uni-cable, you will find that the prices of your utilities (electricity, cable, and phone line) will go down, PLUS i have the unlimited nationwide long distance on my home phone plan, for only $60 a month, total

I voted no because I don't particularly trust the security of wireless communication.. With the right scanner you can tune in anyones cell phone conversation and I do quite a bit of data transfer that requires a higher level of security.

Alexander

I voted yes because I just dropped my landline. My wife and I share a cell plan where we can talk to each other unlimited and have a crazy amount of anytime mins.

The only reason I had a landline is because I had DSL. But cable modem came to my town and I got that, cut the DSL and the landline and am now saving about $30 a month.

The local telco (SBC) has been ripping off the consumer for years. It's about time we had viable options that save us money.

As far as security goes, I don't work for the CIA or FBI, so if someone really wants to hear me talk to my brother about my car then let them. Landline phones are easier to tap then a cell phone anyway.

I work for the cable company, and we are going to be rolling out VOiP soon. That means I will get a free "Land line" just like all my other cable services. But yea, I do believe that the phone line are being slowly fazed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom