my in-laws are still running windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
you could try to put the windiws 98 disk into the drive and go to start,programs,accessories,system info,system tools,on the top of the box that opens click tools file restore and let scan your cd rom for any file changes it will replace any corupt files on the hard drive automaticly.It has helped me alot of times.

Am I the only person to have had great success w/ME? I run XP on my laptop and office desktop, and have nothing but problems. Across from the desktop sits a WIN98 machine, and it never works right. For office apps and minor digital work, my comp at home w/ME is my favorite.

Let's see....the latest worms and viruses all hit what computers?? Those running WIN2K or XP...I don't recall one single discussion about ME...maybe it's better that I stick with it...people don't care enough about it to pay attention to it. Fine w/me!

I appreciate your comments dethangel and apokalipse....however, I must disagree...but then again..this is a forum, right?

im just gonna put 2k on my inlaws comp and yes, twoshipps, you are the only person in the whole world that likes ME, i dont think even bill gates likes it lol, its the bastard child of windows

Well I have used Windows ME for a couple of years, it's a great OS - except it was factory installed on my computer. Besides the fact it had aol in every folder of its harddrive, it was a great OS except for a few minor problems.

- Constant Reboots to free unused memory
- Programs liked to crash
- Is not as fast as XP
- Stable (65% of the time)
A problem I had with Windows ME was that my music would FAST FORWARD itself, and cause major system lag. I installed XP when it first came out (hehehe) and it was MUCH faster, and MUCH more stable.

But as you can see, Windows XP doesn't like everyone.

Twoshipps: Why is your XP system crashing? Try removing unnessary hardware such as a 56k modem. I did this, and my computer is super fast now.

Sometimes hardware starts conflicts. Try buying new ram, or removing a ram stick one at a time to see if it speeds up your XP. XP itself is not slow, it's your system. I ran Windows XP Professional Editon on:
350MHZ Intel Pentium 2
128MB ram
8 GIG hd
8 mb video card

And it worked fine and was pretty speed. However, to get the full power of XP I had to remove all the little effects, such as the new themes. Right now I use no effects, just the basic Windows 2000 look.

I think someone said earlier XP is just a rip of 2000, yes this is true and Windows XP is built off Windows 2000 and is a lot more powerful then Windows 2000.

If you're installing Windows 2000 instead of XP, don't. Especially if you play games, because Windows 2000 is NOT that compitable with many games. It's more of a development or server operating system. Stick with Windows 98SE or Windows XP.

dethangel that sounds like a good plan you have. i would scan all data on all hard disks with an antivirus program, than backup the data on the old hard disk. repartition the new hard disk with at least 5+ gigabytes for the operating system partition depending on how big the hard disk is and how much space their total installed programs take up. and a second partition to store data. installing win2k sounds like a good decision, but try to use NTFS over fat32 for all your new partitions if you can. and transfer the saved data from the old hard drive back to the new hard disk. i'm aware that this is method involves the most work, but the in-laws will thank you over and over. whichever method you do fix it with, use norton ghost or powerquest drive image and save an image of the OS so the next time their comp breaks down and ask you to fix it you can pretend to be hard at work fixing it.

that is prolly what im gong to do, but im not going to format the drive in NTFS, as their stuff is in FAT32 and it wont be able to be transferred to an NTFS drive, and FAT32 is better for games anywayz. they have a 13GB HDD and a 160GB HDD, so ima put the OS on the 13GB (if we can find it lol) and the data/progs on the 160GB, that way ill never have to worry about losing their data if their OS crashes, which it will, within the next 6 months, guarunteed

I guess 98 Se just loves me... I've never experienced any of the problems you're indicating. My computer runs any program I tell it to... It usually only crashes when I get greedy and have too many things open and running to be acommidated by my measly 128MB ram... The only time I had anything remotely resembling the problems described here was when I thought I was doing myself a favour by upgrading my adaptec cd creator 4/direct cd to Roxio Platinum 5... what a freaking mess that made. I uninstalled Platinum, had to do a repair on the OS, reinstalled 4 and installed nero. No problems at all since, and apparently there are documented conflicts with having the two burn programs on 98... I have yet to see them. I also have clonecd and hotburn..

yeah, i hardly ever have any problems with win98se (both of my parents computers use it) but, for some unspecified reason (my borther and sister in law) theirs crashes all the time but nobody know what happened, and it was always someone else who was on it last, or who downloaded the last file (they are forever trying to dl movies and such from kazaa, and about 90% of the time its either a virus or some program that makes their computer unstable) neways, maybe i should tell them not to let them on there and theyll never have any more problems, lol

Another thought... has anyone thought to check the cooling systems?? When my power pack was in death throws and the cooling fan was seizing, I was crashing quite a bit.. had forgotten about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom