Overclocking a P4 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmer

Daemon Poster
I want to overclock a p4 3.0 ghz 800mhz fsb lga 775

i dont know anything about overclocking so i dont know where to make the increments go up or what they mean by flashing the bios i hear people can get this thing up to a 3.8 but i think ill just take it to a 3.6 dont wanna test my luk LOL
i have an ecs board

can i realy overclock it because the board only accepts up to 800mhz fsb so if i raise the fsb what will happe or should it be like that?

thnx

Which ECS board do you have? They are not known to be awesome overclockers...but it all depends on the model you have.

First of all is have you read this thread first before you attempt to overclock.
http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22031

There are many dangers to it and I would suggest not doing it until you know what you doing.

Ok what cooling do you have if its a stock cooler you should be able to get up to 3.5Ghz stable even a bit more.
If you have water then over 3.7 GHz should be easy.

Start by increasing your FSB by 5mhz each time and see if it boots up into windows then run a few games to see if anythingÂ’s wrong.
If it runs perfectly then its stable otherwise if it restarts lower the FSB back down and run a few thing again.

Neosteve

yea i know that but where do i make these changes?
and yes i did read the forum and to my understanding the only danger is that it can overheat and burn the chip up but if its unstable u can just set everything back to normal

All of the P4 prescotts have the clock multiplier locked at the factory default. You need to jack up your FSB. the prescott has a 200mhz fsb (4x pumped to 800mhz)
your muliplier is 15x. To get to 3.6ghz your FSB need to be 240.
To make these changes you need to make them in the BIOS. Lets say if you OC your CPU to an unstable speed and your computer wont boot, your BIOS will detect the malfunction and it should reset back to factory set CPU speed if you turn it COMPLETELY off. Make sure when you OC to 3.6 that you have the internal CPU temp monitor/alarm set to use the PC speaker to alarm you when it gets over a certain temp (if your board comes equipped) Just for reference 70c is my max.

do u set ur alarm in the bios also?
and where in the bios do u make the fsb changes?
and can i keep my stock heatsink and fan and add case fans?
or should i get a new heatsink and cpu fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom