Could power supply be dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I have all my fans hooked up to the case with power plugged in, but no motherboard yet. I just want to see the pretty lights on it and to see which directions the fans are blowing.

When I plug the power cable into the power supply and the other end into the wall socket, I get nothing. I flipped the on and off switch in the back of the power supply hoping to get it going, but nothing happen. Does the motherboard have to be installed for the power supply to function? (The 20 pin + 4pin 12V plug?) Or is the power suppply simply dead on arrival? I don't have a meter to test the power supply so what do you guys think?

TRDCorolla1 said:
Does the motherboard have to be installed for the power supply to function?

No....

Very silly question, but are you sure you turned the power on on the wall socket?

The wall outlet is constantly hot. I tried flipping the switch on the back of the power supply of the computer with no success.

So the power supply is pretty much dead? Brand new, and it doesn't work. That's what I get for getting a cheap power supply.

Does the motherboard have to be installed for the power supply to function?

Yes and no.

First of all if you donÂ’t know how to jump start a PSU then you need to plug in your motherboard as well as your power button on your case to make your power supply work and see.

If you donÂ’t want to plug in your motherboard then just look on Google how to jumpstart a power supply.
Its easy ive done it many time before but make sure you put the wire in the right holes of your mobo connector.

Neosteve

It's a CompUSA generic brand (450Watts w/ 12V 4pin plug). Well, I got it to work. I plugged in the motherboard and the power switch to it even though I have no processor, memory, HDD, etc. I didn't really want to do that yet without installing my other components, but drastic times calls for drastic measures. I heard this is bad.

All the blue lights came on and fans turning. I guess motherboard has to be in. Sweet looking. I chose blue lighting for my theme this time to give it a "cool" effect. I have 6 fans in there so that case should be cool enough to handle all the extra load I'm about to put in. THanks for replying though.

Edit: Neosteve, just saw the reply. That was what I thought. It works now, yay!!!! Motherboard has to be in with switch wiring connected. As for jump starting it, I think I'm going to hold off on that idea for next time. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom