xp activation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekster

In Runtime
This is not a pirate question. I installed a new mobo in a dell comp and xp went to the blue screen of death. I reinstalled xp and thought when I go to activate xp , it would deny because it had been registered already.I typed in the key off of the dell case and it activated without any problems at all. Can someone explain the rules about activation to me ? I have two rigs running xp and both have crashed. but I only had to reactivate one of them. One crash was from a virus and the other was lightning.

You need at least 1-3 major hardware changes, for activation not to work online(to activate it you need to talk to a microsoft rep.). They also track the cpu-id. Since your using the same cpu and your computer has had only 1 change it should be fine.

wow, they actually connect the os to the cpu id for activation? What are some of the reasons they would deny?

geekster said:
wow, they actually connect the os to the cpu id for activation? What are some of the reasons they would deny?

They will deny you only if when they ask you if it is installed on any other computer and you say yes. I have it on 3 different computers. I just call and tell them I had a power surge and my board/cpu got fried.
They really dont "investigate" these claims that you give them due to the amount of calls to activate they recieve. But if you want to get all legal on microsoft, technically you can install XP on like 1,000 computers. but only 1 copy may be run at any one time at any one CPU (cpu meaning desktop computer). Look it up it is in your EULA

I have the same cd key being used about 25 times. However i have another legal key that wont even work

My sisters PC was running extremely slow, so I got rid of all the kack running in the background, did a repair over the top of the previous OS with her original XP installation CD.

It asked for the COA then asked for the activation key with no 30 day option, so called up the number, it was an automated voice system, I had to type in the 25 digit number into the keypad of the phone, the automated system then rattled of a new number for me to input into the PC and that was that !!

Anyway it turns out the hard drive was knackered, so I stuck in a new hard drive did a clean install with the very same XP disk, but this time it never asked for a COA or activation number, not even the 30 days to activate.

Surely the new hard drive would have given XP more reason to go through the activation stuff again ??

Copper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom