Beta member
Ok, I am looking to upgrade my pc.

Specs:

2.4 Ghz Celeron
40 Gb Harddrive
MSI P4MAM-V Motherboard
256 Mb Ram
Etc...

OK Nothing flash at all..... Thats why im upgrading it.

First of all... Video Card
My motherboard features on-board graphics. Does this mean that to purchase a new video card i will have to purchase a new motherboard? If so, what would you recommend thats good, but not too expensive?

RAM: When i opened up my case i saw the RAM: only 256 MB of it. Can i just purchase another card and put it straight into the spare slot?

And also would you recommend purchasing another CPU or is the celeron ok?

Thanks

I'd say your gonna be stuck with a PCI graphics cards, no? That would do your system pretty well for on the cheap:)

Benjers_43, it depends on what your using your system for, or what you want to use your system for after upgrading it. Personally i would built a new system, but i do alot on my computer. So my needs demand better hardware.

here is a mobo, ram, and graphics card. for a good price.

mobo

graphics card

Ram

here u go get back to me if u liek waht u see or if u want something different or better or not as good. into hardcore gaming graphics card should be awsome and if u dont care about overclocking Mobo is great and ram is just awsome for ur mother board it comes to a total of about 275 i think. i dont feel like doing the math.

Hey thanks for that.

But one thing, would my motherboard be Ok to keep or should i really ugrade. It does feature one 4x AGP expansion slot, and 3 PCI slots... I Think, so that kinda offers a lot more to me in the way of Video Cards doesn't it?

My Motherboards Specs:

MSI "P4MAM-V" P4M266A Chipset Motherboard for Intel Socket 478 CPU -RETAIL
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Intel Pentium 4(HT)/Celeron Processors(Prescott Ready)
Chipset: VIA P4M266A + VT8235
FSB: 533/400MHz
Memory: 2x DIMM for DDR266 up to 2GB
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
Slots: 1x AGP 4X, 3x PCI, 1x CNR
Ports: 2x PS/2,1x VGA,1xCOM,1xLPT,6xUSB2.0(Rear 4),1x LAN,Audio Ports
Onboard Audio: VIA VT1616 6-Channel Codec
Onboard Video: S3 ProSavage8 Graphics
Onboard LAN: VIA VT6103 10/100Mbps Fast Ethernet
Form Factor: microATX

well agp is pretty much out dated now so u would have to replace it again pretty soon any way and the ram i chose for is almost twice as fast as what ur boad can support now and video card can do agp 8x stay go with the mobo i told u about. i mean its up to. if u decide to keep ur mobo here is some different ram.

ram, just buy two of these if u decide to keep old mobo.

agp is not really out dated...
considering any graphx card out right now doesnt fully utilize pci ex agp is not outdated

AGP is not outdated. We barely even use AGP4x to it's full potentional.

I recomend getting a 9600 or a 5700, another 256 meg stick of ram and you should be fine.

I am not american, but the GEIL seems to have an awfully high price.

im sorry i ment agp 4x is out dated, or i soon going to be with the new pci-e in about 6 months, bye bye agp 4x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom