Constant Harddrive Resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hologenik

Beta member
I've had a Western Digital 80 gig as a master, and a 30 gig Seagate as a slave for around 3-4 years now. A few weeks ago, I was playing a game and it froze, and I noticed a strange click sound, followed by an increase of rpm sound and this sequence of sounds repeat until rebooted. As the comp rebooted, and got to the windows XP loading screen, it looped and I checked my main hard drive and it was basically formated, it wouldn't go back into windows.

I managed to reinstall windows on the 80 gig that just had a problem and eventually the comp would lock up but some times it wouldnt "format" the drive and it would infact let me get back into windows if I rebooted of course. This process of formating after losing all my data and not being able to get back into windows happened 3 or 4 times until I said screw it, and made my 30 gig slave a temporary main as I took the 80 gig out of the case for the time being.

Later on, I bought a new 80 gig Seagate hard drive and the same problem occurs either when I load up a game, for instance, Half-Life 2, and sometimes even in windows when loading a simple program such as mIRC.

I tried every single possible combination of jumpers on the new hard drive, I even played around with the master and slave settings, even different IDE cables and it still happens. I even checked to see it was a memory related problem and it still happens. I also even tryed to not have any form of slave on the new hard drive... and it still happens. *sigh*

Could someone help me please? I'm honestly baffled on this problem, it's driving me nuts.

*PS* When I had to use the 30 gig slave as a main, this problem never happened, and everything ran "fine" (everything was insanely slow due to the 5400rpms but the problem im having with both 80 gig's never occured while the 30 was being used)

Comp specs:

XP2200+ CPU
512 PC3200 DDR
ASUS A7n8x 2.0 Deluxe nforce2 Motherboard
GeCube X800 Pro Videocard
80GIG @ 7200rpm w/ 8meg cache Western Digital (original 80 gig drive)
80GIG @ 7200rpm w/ 8meg cache Seagate (recently bought hard drive)
30GIG @ 5400rpm Seagate (slave)

Hmm, I have a Maxtor drive that did that and the Power supply was to blame, but it was only a 300 watt Power supply. I would imagine 430 watts would be enough. If memory serves me right, think someone else had this problem here on TF. I'll have to look up this post and hopefully find you a solution.

I can't seem to find the post, and I've tried google with no real results. But I have some ideas. Is the drive that's resetting on the same power supply line as the X800? If it is try switching in with another drive and see if it still resets. And you may want to try using another Power supply, maybe a friend has one you can borrow.

Yeah I ordered a 500w Aspire Concord power supply and a VGA Cooler 4 for my X800 Video Card (just because lol *shrug*)

So hopefully i'll see what's going on with that

btw, that's a good idea with the sharing of powercord from the video card to hard drive.. i'll try that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom