Slow bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

-=DFOX=-

Baseband Member
I finally got my new system up and running. But it really takes its time booting up, is there a way to fix this?

Well, it all depends. My system take about 1 minute, 40 seconds to boot. I've got all kinds of stuff on my pc, hardware wise, overclocked, lots of ram, etc. Are you talking about the startup time to get to your desktop? If so, you might have a lot of programs running that you don't need to run. Disable them in msconfig if this is so.

it also depends on how much of your hardware is supported, the quality of the support (drivers), and the overall configuration of the system. There might be one or two bottle necks in there that could be configured to get your system running faster. Install the latest drivers, run msconfig and clean up your startup. update your windows.

Well, here is the deal. This is a brand new build. It takes about 1:45 to go from power up to usable desktop.

The ASUS A8V screen stays up for like 25 seconds, then the blinking cursor hangs around another 30. Plus other stuff in between, scanning IDE ad stuff...

My Specs are

ASUS A8V MOBO
AMD 3200+
1 GB Ram
Running XP Home

Doe's this sound like a normal boot time?? My Old Dell P4 was up in about 30 seconds, course it did not have as much stuff to think about :)

Sounds like quite a few problems, your hardware seems to take a while to get recognised, so updating drivers would be the first things I'd say.

I really think all it is is some sort of hardware, as the hangtime seems to occur for the most part before your OS is loaded.

you can also try going into

Run-msconfig-startup

if theres alot of programs selected that may be where your problem lies.

Well, I tried updating everything that I could, still the same.

Doe's memory size have anything to do with it?

Also, when I fire it up, it says something like "No fastrack controller device found, the bios is not installed"

Im not sure what that is, is that the part that comes with the ASUS board that has a joystick controller hookup and another serial port plus two more USB ports? I didnt put that in when I put it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom