processor speed vs. ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

K Tooz

Solid State Member
I am looking at buying a laptop. My needs are pretty basic.... I am basically wondering what is more important for general speed. Processor speed or RAM? I have a choice between celeron m processor 1.5 ghz (1gig RAM) $799 vs P4 2.4 ghz (512 MB RAM) $1150. What is the better deal and what is more useful in the long run. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.....

Does either come with dual channel RAM?

Otherwise, I'd guess the p4 is much faster (most people say celerons suck and I don't have any experience with them).

Well from my experience, Celeron processer do better for word processing and bascily anything that isn't video-like. You can use a celeron for video stuff but you won't get as good performance compared to a P4 for video. I would recomend the P4.

Havent answered the "pretty basic" need question yet, so im going to dive in this one blind folded. If I were you depending on what the use is for, if you are going to be just processing and surfing...etc go with the Celeron D w/1gig, or like Zeeg suggested, if anything with video's and or/ editing go with the P4 and as far as future... Go with the P4 but as the technology advances it really doesnt matter lol, hope I was helpful :)

I too would recommend the P4. If not that, then certainly not a celeron, they are the low end cheapo chips. 512 is probably fine for your "basic" needs, and the gig probably isnt physically faster, just bigger. Go with the speed!

why don't you try Intel Centrino technology?
it is using the mobile processors for laptops.this is better and can boost up the performance too.
512 RAM is definitely sufficient for the basic tasks. :)

Zeeg, Intel Celerons are purposely made to run slow. Intel makes them to load applications at a very slower rate so it never freezse. Intel Pentium 4's are much better then celerons , dealing with anything.

I dont recommend anything Celeron. I want to know where your buying a laptop with a P4 2.4ghz probably 533mhz FSB for over 1000$... Your getting rippet off man. I do suggest a Intel Centrino. They are really good with battery life, very ideal for basic use. Heres a link for the Intel Centrino.

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=121

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom