Installing SATA drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
that is odd...
ok, try putting the .exe. on the disk then...i didnt think that was the way, but its worth a shot.

Or maybe I should go with what you have. I still have an old 20GB hard drive laying around and I'll use that to install Windows XP. After that installs, I'll put in the SATA drive and get that going. But it won't have the OS on it though. When the PC boots, it will always boot to the slower IDE drive instead so that kind of defeats the purpose of getting the SATA drive in the first place.

I hear the Asus SLi board doesn't have any problems at all with SATA install. Windows picked it right up, "wham, bam, thank you maam", and installed everything. Once Windows is loaded, then you install all the drivers. I think this motherboard is a little different than yours because this guy I'm talking about didnt' have any problems at all.

My sata Drivers I just installed off my mobo website then I restart and my sata drive appears. SATA is hot-pluggable but may not be plug and play, there is a difference. Hot-pluggable is being able to take them out and plug them in while the computer is running w/o danger. Plug and play is supposed to work w/o installing drivers.

Most motherboard from what people's been saying here and at PC stores I visited this morning said the same thing. DO the F6 deal and install the SATA floppy. If no floppy is available, your motherboard should detect the SATA drives with no problems. After Windows is completely installed, then install the SATA drivers from the utility CD that comes with the motherboard.

If that still doesn't work, then they told me to check out the motherboard's website and download any updates including SATA drivers or SATA RAID drivers that pertain to my motherboard.

I did find 3 version of the SATA driver that I downloaded first. Two of them didn't work, but one did. After I downloaded the necessary file, I just copied it too the floppy and that was the SATA driver disk. What a hassle.

I'm getting an Asus motherboard next, damn. Gigabyte is totally messed up in this case with the SATA installation. In all the stores that I went to and online, everyone said Asus was number one. Learned my lesson. Asus it is. I should do an RMA on the GIgabyte board I have now, but it's already installed now.

You can just imagine for people that are new who don't know what they're doing and they get their hands on this GIgabyte board. Sure I can go with the IDE route, but why go that way when I invested money to use SATA features off the motherboard? Shouldn't it be better than IDE? Gigabyte need to point this installation problem out by including a SATA driver floppy with the motherboard on it's next revision.

ASUS is no better...

Just bought a new P5GDC-V Deluxe by ASUS to build a system for work. What a pain in the rear!!!!! I still can't tell if I did anything wrong, but I never did get the SATA HD working properly. It just would not let me install Windows. I take that back...I got Windows installed once and up and running when I used the OEM disc from a Dell in the office. However, I did not want that to be a permanent install. The PC is not a Dell after all. After that, no matter what I tried, the HD kept giving me errors. I have RMA'd the drive back to NewEgg and I am praying that if I install Windows using the press F6 to install SATA controller method, that all will work. The ASUS sight is absolutely no help. The manual sucks as well.
My Gigabyte board at home has never given me any trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom