Grrrrrr Asus

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisgill369

In Runtime
I just cant get my head around the fact that asus make motherboards for the 939 amd64 cpu yet the A8V that i have needs to be updated first to support the winchester , unless i was luckily enough to get a rev2. What is the point in it, sureley if they make a 939 motherboard i should support them all.

Where do i stand if it needs to be updated?
How do you do it if you dont have a CPU that is supported, or dont you?

Should i send it back ?

ASUS has corrected this bios problem and now the A8V supports the 90 nm processors. You must use the new 1008 (or beta 1009) bios which you can download from their site and use EZFlash feature of the A8V to flash a new bios. Be sure to clear the bios first by using the CLRTC jumper.

im confused completley.

This is how i see it ....... ive only got my motherboard, i havent bought a cpu yet because im afraid it wont work. If i do buy it and it doesnt work, then how can i update the bios with an unfunctional cpu, surely it needs the cpu to apply the bios right ?

I only got my motherboard about a week ago so im thinking it is a new one but im not sure. Ive emailed asus to see if they can tell from my serial no but no reply, and send a message to ebuyer and again, no reply.

Google is your friend.

Follow these detailed instructions and you'll be good.

You need to go to the ASUS site under 'download' for the A8V Deluxe motherboard and get the latest bios release (using another computer of course ), which is VERSION 1008 or beta 1009.

Unzip this file and put it on an empty formatted floppy and rename it A8V.ROM and put it in your floppy drive.

You are now going to use the feature called EZFlash (which you can read about in your manual too). This feature doesn't require the system to be operable, as is required if you used the conventional DOS boot flash utility method.

With the computers power completely off clear the bios by moving a jumper on your motherboard called CLRTC from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3 for about 15 seconds and then move it back to default pins 1-2. I found it wasn't necessary to remove and replace the battery, but you can do that too if you wish.

Now turn on the power of the power supply and then the front panel power switch and then immediately press and hold <ALT + F2> until you hear the floppy disk loading. If you get the nice lady reporting "System failed CPU test", you've failed and you have to start over by clearing bios again and then carry on trying to get EZFlash to work. It's a bit finicky with regard to when you press <ALT + F2> to get the floppy to start reading, but you'll get it. It would seem that as the system starts Post and before it finds a fault is the key time that EZFlash can be launched with the <ALT + F2> interrupt. Make sure your keyboard and floppy are installed correctly. This means the floppy cables white stripe pin 1 is up on the motherboard and 'usually' left on the rear view of the floppy drive.

Once the floppy starts clicking and reading, the VGA monitor screen will now show your flashing progress by saying floppy found and erasing bios and flashing new bios etc and then the computer reboots when successful. Again, you can read in your manual the exact wording of what the EZFlash reports on your screen smile.gif

Once it reboots and you get past the post reporter and it tells you to hit DEL to enter bios edit mode - do so. This will allow you to make changes you want to make to the bios, like making the floppy the 1st device to boot from, and if you have a 3400+ to change the HT speed from 1000Mhz to 800MHz.

Now save and exit bios and when it reboots it will go to floppy where you have your disk utility to format and partition your SATA or IDE drives etc.....

right im going to save that for future reference, but just one thing i wont to get clear .........

if my cpu is not deteceted i can still do all that with the bios right ?

from reading the above i beleive so but please confirm lol

I tried this, got to ez flash, but it could not find the file on my floppy?????

It found the drive, but no floppy, Ill try again.

Yup bro, i just did it, got my XP in also, up and running, I followed the above directions, not sure why my floppy didnt work, i just made a new one and it worked, really sucked because I had to keep swapping the drive from each comp.

Thanks to the poster above, awesome help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom