Not open for further replies.

tortue.net

Beta member
My current configuration is
CPU : AMD Athlon XP 1700+
Motherboard : Micro-Star MS-6382 Ver. 1
Chipset : VIA VT8366A Apollo
Bios Award Medallion 12/20/01

I would like add some ram and to change my cpu to upgrade my computer.

Is it important to upgrade the bios (I do not have any new equipment to connect) ?
If yes......how ?

How could I now wich cpu will be compatible with my motherboard ?

Thanks for your help

tbh i would recommend u bought a whole new system but as far as i know u can just drop a faster cpu into the mobo, but u have to make sure the mobo supports the fsb of the new chip. say if u were putting a 2500+ in it, this chips runs at a fsb of 333 i think but if you motherboard can only do upto 266 then it will either limit the speed to the 266 or will not work all together, im not sure which. hope that helps

After a lot of search on the internet, I found that my mobo can only runs at 266fsb.
I have a look at the amd.com site, and it seems that a processor athlon xp 2600+ is designed to run at 266fsb (there is another one running at 333fsb).
My current CPU athlon xp 1700+ is working with 1.75V. From amd.com it seems that the 2600+ works under 1.65V...
Can I still run a 2600+ on my motherboard, or do I ha ve to modify something ?

Thanks for your help

well that sounds about right i dont see any problems i would also check wat multiplier your board can take and see if is high enough for that chip. Ive never replaced tust the chip before ive always changed mobo and chip together so i cant tell u 100% that it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom