my in-laws are still running windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't waste your time trying to figure out why Win98 is broken. You'll fix the problem and something else will go wrong in 2 weeks.

I suggest getting a copy of Win2k or WinXP and install it. They'll love you for fixing they're computer for more then a week.

apokalipse said:
if installing to a diff directory doesn't work, it just might be a possibility that it's the video card drivers unable to display the icons and stuff correctly. only a small chance though

this aint it

1) the computer worked fine with win 98 for like 3 years, the only thing that has been changed was the HDD and it worked fine for about 4 months
2) its not the display, its opening the folders, shortcuts work fine (executables) but folders wont open without using explore

Lostman said:
Don't waste your time trying to figure out why Win98 is broken. You'll fix the problem and something else will go wrong in 2 weeks.

I suggest getting a copy of Win2k or WinXP and install it. They'll love you for fixing they're computer for more then a week.

thats prolly what ill do, since their comp is only a P3 and (will have) 256MB of ram (im putting in a 128MB stick for free, this is how you get brownie points) ima put win 2k on it, it aint fast enough to run WINXP, but they should be really happy with that

Originally posted by Apokalipse
all of my programs run, I only had a pproblem with 1 game but i fixed it (old win95 game)

i cant figure out how to get command and conquer (original) to run on my XP box, and i really really want to see how fast it runs on a P4 2.4GHz w/800 MHz fsb with 1GB of PC2700 (im upgrading my mobo/proc in about 2 weeks) that mofo will fly!

apokalipse said:
hey Windows 98 is bad, but Windows ME? no offence but that's like the shittest windows version

if installing to a diff directory doesn't work, it just might be a possibility that it's the video card drivers unable to display the icons and stuff correctly. only a small chance though

Windows ME is a revision of the Windows 98 Kernel I believe, and it is a little bit better - but I'd prefer Linux so ^_^

no windows ME is a crappilly rehashed version of WIN98, win 98 is still better than ME, lol and that aint sayin anything good for ME

dethangel said:
no windows ME is a crappilly rehashed version of WIN98, win 98 is still better than ME, lol and that aint sayin anything good for ME

Yea. Windows sucks overall, all versions suck! Oh well I had Windows ME and had nothing but problems (music fast forwarding itself, lag when that happened)

I liked Redhat Linux 8 the best :p f*ck windows :mad:

naw, windows is more compatible with other software and hardware than linux, otherwise id be running it ;) windows xp rocks, i have yet to crash my WIN XP PRO, the only problem with WIN is the fact that it is such a system hog, but when ur system is like mine, you dont have to worry about it :D

Yea, but I still prefer Linux. I use WINE on LINUX and I'm able to play many games with it for Windows, run Direct X, run Visual C++, Visual Basic 6, etc.

www.wine-hq.com ever see it? It's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom