Crappy MB and slow FSB slowing down computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koomba

Baseband Member
Hey im new to the forums, so I hope I can get some help. Anyways I just got a new computer, well my parents bought it, so I had nil say in what we got....but anyways its an XP 2000+ with 512 MB DDR and I just installed a geforce3...but the problem is I was looking at the MB manual that came with it, and I noticed that the FSB is only 100/133....and the newer XP chips support up to like 200 or 266, correct? So I was just wondering if the slower FSB, which is the same bus speed that was in my old celeron 300, is slowing down the computer? I would be using it mainly for gaming, obviously, so thats why i ask. Oh and btw i scored around 7000 on 3DMark2001...should it be higher? If anyone knows if it is the MB thatd be great, and point me to any good reccommedations for a good one. Thanks

steven

If you're running an AthlonXP 2000+, your FSB is set at 133mhz.. but the bus on Athlons is DDR (double data rate) which means it sends information on both the rising and falling edge of the clock cycle, effectively doubling the clock speed to 266.

As for your 3dmark score, 7000 probably isn't bad for a Geforce3. With my 1600+ (@1540mhz) I get about 9000, but I've got a Geforce4 Ti4200...

Hope that helps!

FSB on DDR+AMD K7, T-bird, Palomino (XP/MP) / T-bred platform = 133 MHz * 2

The problem is just not recognizing the architecture of DDR. :p

7000 is average, considering a Ti 200 averages around 6500 and a Ti 500 around 7800. I've gotten over 8800 before when flashing my GeForce3's BIOS to a Ti 500. :eek:

Ooooh lol....well i guess i was just confused then. As you can see, im a bit of a noob, but thanks for the help guys! I was just making sure i wasnt getting screwed over. Thanks for the help!!

steven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom