G.E.A.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kangaroo said:
I am male, my avatar is just someone i find very attractive lol

my pic is in "Off-Topic" or something.

I am truly sorry, this is one thing i was worried about when posting that post.

wow, that is REALLY useful . . .

gigabytes are really good . . .

yeah, sure ABIT is good of OC . . . but i dont do that . . .

now back to making and burning my SHAQ effigy . . . :p

im from LA . . . what else should i do?

Okay am I the only one who has bought this board?... Okay I'm going to share the following information on this G.E.A.R. piece of crap slot:

I was setting up a whole new system for myself and I wanted the GEAR slot so I could still use my AGP card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro), so I bought the Gigabyte GA-8i915P Duo-A board from newegg seeing that the GEAR slot supported AGP... BIG MISTAKE!!!

This version of the AGP bus that Gigabyte has created called the G.E.A.R. is actually just a PCI bus with an AGP inteface somehow attatched... Yes that's right, a whopping 33Mhz PCI bus for AGP graphics! I'm sorry but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having an AGP card? When you read the manual they tell you that it is a temporary solution only and that you should use the PCI-Ex 16x slot for video instead...AND GET THIS: The manual actually says that if you put an AGP video card in this GEAR slot it will reduce the life expectancy of that card! Not to mention that if you don't have a Gigabyte brand AGP card it will not work at any resolution past 640x480. I used my ATI radeon 9800 pro and I can only boot windows in VGA mode. I don't know if I did something wrong or if it's the GEAR slot, all I know is I'm really pissed! I'm writing this post from a laptop because I can't use my desktop now! Thanks a lot Gigabyte, you losers! Now I have to scrounge up the money for a PCI-Ex video card and sell my radeon. My advice to anyone is to just buy the new mobo's that fully support the PCI-EX 16x and buy a new video card and forget about these crappy AGP "solutions" that companies are crapping out into the market. Don't buy this board unless you have a PCI-EX 16x video card or a very cheap Gigabyte brand AGP card!!!!

Hi also I have this motherboard right now but i didnt use it curently cuz i dont have CPU & RAM for this board ( specially for SelfHatred ) thank u for ur information about this board I hope to send me more iformation about this board cuz u used it right now and also i didnt buy PCI x card i want to use AGP slot that called GEAR but when i see ifnormation in the cataloge its said about it :

It says "G.E.A.R. interface is designed to provide a temporary AGP solution before the mass availability of PCI Express graphics card. It is suggested to use PCI Express X 16 interface graphics card to avoid the damage of your AGP graphics card".

And it continues: "G.E.A.R. interface is created through PCI interface signal and voltage switching to AGP interface, due to this technical specification difference, it might cause AGP graphics card life-span shortens".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom