Trying to install a removeable hard drive its making me crazy! PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckynet

Solid State Member
Hello i recently bought a Genica GN210 Removable hard drive tray!I guess i thought installation would be simple boy i was wrong!
Ok i removed my existing hd,mounted the tray in one of the bays,hooked the hd into the removeable caddy only two connectors in it theres no way to do that part wrong!
Hooked the pc ribbon to the back of the new caddy/tray....just like it was hooked to my exisitng hd prior to me doing anything.Ribbon and power.
So simple but it doesnt detect it!
So i read the instructions
Set the jumpers on the hd to cable select...my god theres 15 different scenarios,so i looked for the picture that matched my jumpers(theres two)and it matched one of the pictures that said cable select.So i guess the jumpers are correct?
The directions mentioned something about the drive must be installed to the secondary channel for operation(i do not know what this means)Remember i installed it exactly as i removed it.
It mentions the bios setting to auto detect thats how it was set!
This drive that im talking about is my main and only hd it already has windows xp on it.All i have done is remove the pc's hd and im trying to put it into the removable tray.I do not want a second hd
Wow! can you help?
thanks

Instructions say it must be installed to secondary channel. This means the second IDE controller. The one your hard drive would have connected to will be the primary, so the other IDE connector in the system (probably running your CDROM) is the secondary.

I have no idea why it can't use the primary controller but this would explain why it is not working.

Also, when you said you matched the jumpers on the hard disk to the picture for Cable Select, do you mean the picture on the top of the hard disk itself.

I didnt have to change the jumpers it would seem they were already set for cable select.Should they have been in that configuration?I looked at the pictures on the hd itself.There are 16 different configurations it would seem.The way the jumpers are now do match one of the 16 possiblities(16 heads cable select)It would also seem theres a different configuration for 15 heads cable select or 32gb clip cable select or auto spin disable cable select.As you can tell i cant make heads or tails of the drawings and wording as to what goes with what.The drive is a ibm Deskstar model ic35l060aver07-0 60 gb p/n 07n7404
your help is greatly appreciated.
one more thing
I haVE not move the jumpers they are in the same position they were in prior to me doing anything

In that case, the jumpers should be fine.
Problem is that you are trying to use the drive on the primary controller. It will only work on the secondary.
What is connected to secondary channel at the moment?

I unhooked the cd drive cable and hooked that to the hd caddy unit and put the cable i had on the hd caddy onto the cd,turned it on and it went to the bios screen telling me primary hard disk drive 1 not found and secondary hard disk drive 1 not found.I hit f2 and both were now detected,rebooted and the same thing comes up,i hit f1 to continue and it goes ahead and boots up to windows and works just fine.Restart and the same thing you must hit f1 to continue then it works fine.I would assume there are settings in the bios i need to change?
Any thoughts??

Check BIOS for a setting to procede without F1. I have seen this issue on Compaq Proliant Servers, and there is a setting in there BIOS to continue boot without F1.

checked every possibility but theres no continue booting without f1.
my boot seq is
1.diskette drive
2/hard disk drive c
3.ide cd-rom
4.intel undi pxe-2.0 build 071
primary drive 0 cd rom reader
primary drive 1 unknown device
secondary drive 0 harddrive
secondary drive1 unkown device
I thought maybe if i moved the cable from not using the end connection to using the other one might change this but it didnt with the cdrom but when i made the cjange on the hd it wasnt found at all(obviously it must have t be last)
put them back and still have the above errors.
BUT ATLEAST IT WORKS(VERY SLOW BOOTING)DUE TO THE F1

The setting you are looking for is often termed something like 'halt on All errors' or 'halt on disk/key errors' etc. You can normally change this is 'No errors'. i.e. system will boot regardless of changes to config or certain errors.

If you still get this message coming up, some bios's require you to go into the BIOS, save the changes & let PC begin the reboot. But before the OS starts to load though, do a soft reboot (using CTRL/ALT/DEL) then proceed as normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom