MS DOS boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosepoop

Beta member
Hey,

today my friend brought over his computer. It seems he got a count down virus which erased his HD, i am wondering how to re install seeing as it only turns on nothing works nothing botos just power turns on. any help would be great

if nothing happens when you power up it sounds like the BIOS might have to replace it before reinstalling

If your screen is blank you have a display problem or your comp doesn't even POST. if that is the case then the bios would be the problem. Most of the time with a virus erasing the os you will get a post screen, sometimes just a logo and then I may say insert a boot disk or invalid system disk. This means either you master boot record is bad or you are missing major system files like the kernel.

Do you get a POST or banner screen?

You can also boot from a floppy or cd, ike the windows XP cd. If you were to install the OS you will most likely need that disk. depending on the vedor of you computer. Which brand of computer to you have? If it does boot off of this then your bios is not the problem. it's microsoft.

Just download linux and you won't have any other problems except for the learning curve.

Do you get anything on the screen at all?
If the BIOS turns out to be OK & you can boot from a boot disk etc, simply reinstalling windows will not be sufficient IF it was a virus that erased the drive. You will need to delete the MBR as well (try fdisk /mbr).
What makes you so sure it is a virus thats the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom