Is there a trick to installing a SATA HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingOfHearts

Baseband Member
My newly built pc is giving me problems, I decided to try and put in the cd that came with the mobo and now it allows me to boot from this mobo cd but it tells me that my HDD is installed incorrectly. Here are some pics, what am I doing wrong?

Go into the bios, and number 1, make sure windows and the bios are detecting the HDD, via SATA or IDE, whichever, then, you prolly have to install your SATA drives, cause I have to do that with mine. You might have to switch them over to IDE, install the SATA Drives, then swithc back over...if you can. Sorry thats all I know how to do??:)

If you are installing a sata drive to be the drive with the os then you will need to make a floppy with the drivers. This is done before you install windows on the pc. If the sata is going to be a a secondary drive than all you need to is just install it and do the rest in windows.

Ok, do most people not install windows into their SATA drive? So basically my only options is to put a floppy drive into my new computer and install the drivers. Wouldn't you think that in 2005 their would be a way to not have a floppy drive on your computer and still be able to install drivers? Oh well.......!

When I installed my SATA harddrive in my computer, I did not have to place floppy's in the drive or do anything like that. I plug the drive into the SATA controller on the motherboard, and installed the OS, no problems what-so-ever. You shouldn't run into any problems.

Are you putting 2 drives in or just 1 i didnt see 2 drives.Now mabey im wrong but i think you need 2 drives for raid.

KingOfHearts said:
Ok, do most people not install windows into their SATA drive? So basically my only options is to put a floppy drive into my new computer and install the drivers. Wouldn't you think that in 2005 their would be a way to not have a floppy drive on your computer and still be able to install drivers? Oh well.......!

you need the floppy because the xp cd need to recognize it. Xp was made in 2001-2. some new mobo's support boot straight from sata automatically but not all.
browse your cd. look for an oem.text and a .bin file. you should have instructions on how to copy it to floppy. my raid(sata) drivers was hidden on my mobo cd. but I already had experience on how to do it, because I've use after market raid cards before

I tried to install the SATA drivers, but it still doesn't want to work. I got access to my CD-ROM, but when you try to install the drivers, it says "Cannot run this program in DOS mode". I then copy the files to a diskette and run them from the disk and I get the same error message. This is messed up.

As far as I know regarding SATA HDD, it comes with a disk contains SATA drivers. I would change boot sequence to floppy, CD, then SATA HDD and install XP. During the process of the Windows install, it will ask you if a 3rd party utility software needs to be installed or something like that. Windows will ask you to press F6. After pressing the funtion key, then you insert the SATA disk into that so it can copy over necessary files to operate the new hard drive. Does that sound right?

My mobo didn't come with floppy. here are my instructions from notepad

If you lost your Driver Disk labeled as "Promise 376/378 Driver"
This file will teach you how to make one Driver Disk

First please perpare one formatted 1.44M Floppy
Then please copy necessary driver from MSI Driver CD

- Driver for Win98/ME
Please refer to Win98-ME.txt
Please Copy CDROM:\IDE\Promise\S-ATA\PDC20378\Driver\Win98-ME\ folder

- Driver for Win2000
Please copy CDROM:\IDE\Promise\S-ATA\PDC20378\Driver\Win2000\ folder
\IDE\Promise\S-ATA\PDC20378\Driver\fasttx2k file
\IDE\Promise\S-ATA\PDC20378\Driver\ULSATA file