Amd and Intel Clock speeds ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Codeine said:
Jnewt427, what is the matter with you... Listin 3200+ (is the type of processor) The Brand (type). AMD and Intel name their processors different. AMD Athlon 64- is the processor chipset. Now the 3200+ is a type of AMD Athlon 64 processor. Pentium 4 is the name of the chipset. 3.2ghz is the name of a type of processor. 3200/3400/3500/3800 is the type of Athlon 64. Your completely understanding it wrong.

You can leave the smart remarks to your self, I only wanted an explanation!!

OMFG, again, this go's for ANYTHING. AMD Athlon XP is the chipset name. AMD Athlon XP 3200 is one of the many AMD Athlon XP processors. AMD Athlon XP is the howl family. AMD Athlon XP 3200 or AMD Athlon XP 2800 or AMD Athlon XP 3000 are all members of the family. What is so hard to understand... Those are just the names that distinguish them from each other.

guys don't turn this into an argument.

AMD's Athlon CPU's (be it the first Athlon's, Athlon XP's or Athlon 64's) have a lower frequency than Intel's CPU's

the frequency however doesn't tell you the performance of a CPU, so it is Intel that has really been misleading about it

all Athlon CPU's are able to complete instructions in a fewer amount of clock cycles than Intel CPU's

so if it might take an Intel CPU 13 clock cycles to complete an instruction, it may take an Athlon 7 clock cycles.

there is a performance measurement which tells you how many calculations your CPU can complete per second called the flops measurement.

some supercomputers may be able to process 10 teraflops (or 10 trillion calculations per second) or a basic home computer may be able to process a couple of gigaflops
however, some of these multi teraflop supercomputers have a frequency of less than 1000MHZ!
which just shows that the frequency does not tell you the performance of a CPU

AMD's CPU's perform about the same as an Intel CPU even with a lower frequency, so that's why they have a rating like 3200+
the 3200+ rating tells us that it performs about the same as a Pentium 4 at 3200MHZ

the same applies to Athlon 64's too, an Athlon XP 3200+ may perform similarly to an Athlon 64 3200+

now with AMD's HTT:
the front side bus is the speed at which your CPU can communicate to the RAM. normally the CPU would be asking the memory controller chip (often called the Northbridge) which is normally on the motherboard, for some of the RAM's data. the Northbridge then takes that data from RAM and sends it to the CPU
however the Athlon 64's have their memory controller on the CPU itself, which means that it can communicate much faster, which is why they have a minimum of a 1000MHZ transfer speed.
socket 754 usually has a 1600MHZ transfer speed and socket 939 has a 1600MHZ to 2GHZ transfer speed
now, since the CPU does not need to go through the motherboard to communicate with the MC (memory controller) it is no-longer called the frontside bus

Well, overall, AMD does build better cores to perform better. Like, I have an AMD 64 3400+ clocked at 2.2 GHz, and I also have 2GHz of FSB, both my chip and mobo support (sock. 939); therefore, intel hasn't built a chip to this specification, yet. I would say AMD will always be ahead of Intel in this departement, minaly because, in my opinion, Intel builds more affordable chips, while AMD builds chipp that perform really good, but for that performance you are going to pay more! Truley though, it is really not that much of a difference?!

Well I am not trying to knock AMD for the way they name there processors, just trying to understand AMD's method to the maddness. I thought calling it a 3200 had to do with something about the processor?.

I am in the process of research to build a gaming rig, and threw my research I found alot of people saying AMD was better than Intel for a gaming type PC. Researching further I found this to be true with AMD's always scoring higher in 3DMark scores. It just threw me for a loop when I started researching about the AMD's processors and finding them low clock speeds.

Intel make there processors have high clock speeds to get good performance, AMD do other things like increase bus, cache, core \, 64bit etc to get good performance.

I thought calling it a 3200 had to do with something about the processor?.
Like I said man it's just basically telling you how approximately well it compares to a specific Intel. 3200MHz = 3.2GHz and that chips performance at it's 2.2GHz actual clock speed is roughly equivelant to a 3200MHz or 3.2GHz Intel ya see?

That's all that means. Like wayne said, they don't focus solely on processor speed, but it's not only a method to labeling their processors but to also tell people how well it roughly compares to an Intel of 3200MHz ya see?

IMO it's a lot easier to find out about all of AMD's CPU's. Intels are confusing to me :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom