Amd and Intel Clock speeds ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jnewt427 said:
Hopefully this will lay it to rest,
AMD HAS 1600 AND 2000 FSB

Go here
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_cpu.asp

that is labeled wrong though...A64 do not have a "FSB" like the other AMD's. they have HTT which is totally different technology, i've been told this like 50X now from other people lmao.

"Technically speaking, there is no FSB on A64 systems. FSB is a bus that allows the CPU to communicate with system memory. A64 systems use a different type of connection called HyperTransport. It's a point-to-point link. The term HTT is used to described the connection speed. This is roughly equivalent to FSB but not the same thing."

i might seem picky...but if you were to tell AMD that you A64 had a FSB...they would correct you because FSB is an old A32 term.

gaara said:
All Athlon 64s on socket 939 have 1000mhz FSB...

its 1000, 1600, 2000 yes...but the term is HTT, not FSB. its 1000MHz HTT technically. don;t mean to sound annoying abotu this...but if we are ever going to get out of the A32 world we gotta stop using old terms. in a way it's like calling PCI, AGP...they are almostthe same really..but entirely different technologies and speeds.

4W4K3 said:
that is labeled wrong though...A64 do not have a "FSB" like the other AMD's. they have HTT which is totally different technology, i've been told this like 50X now from other people lmao.

"Technically speaking, there is no FSB on A64 systems. FSB is a bus that allows the CPU to communicate with system memory. A64 systems use a different type of connection called HyperTransport. It's a point-to-point link. The term HTT is used to described the connection speed. This is roughly equivalent to FSB but not the same thing."

i might seem picky...but if you were to tell AMD that you A64 had a FSB...they would correct you because FSB is an old A32 term.

See this is what I mean about miss labeling stuff, An AMD3200 is not 3.2Ghz, its only 2.2Ghz, and then this AMD FSB thing, that clearly states from the website Tigerdirect that clearly states a AMD64 with 1600 and 2000 FSB, Jesus $%^&@ I don't know what to believe.

Jnewt427 said:
See this is what I mean about miss labeling stuff, An AMD3200 is not 3.2Ghz, its only 2.2Ghz, and then this AMD FSB thing, that clearly states from the website Tigerdirect that clearly states a AMD64 with 1600 and 2000 FSB, Jesus $%^&@ I don't know what to believe.

Exactly...it gets very confusing. It's HTT, AMD has MANY links and webpages about it as the NEW technology for A64. FSB was A32 technology. try www.hypertransport.org for all the gruesome details, AMD directly links to them on there site. it's a bad naming scheme i think.

Jnewt427 said:
This is why I posted this thread!! To get real answers from real people that use it everday.

lol i've never touched an A64 rig...never even SEEN one with my OWN eyes. but i KNOW about them and the technoology...that's all i got to go on so far.:) hoepfully this time next year i will have one sitting on my desk:)

An AMD3200 is not 3.2Ghz, its only 2.2Ghz,
That's not mislabeling dude, the processor is the 3200+ they never say that it's 3.2GHz, the brand name is 3200+ and it's advertised speed is 2.2GHz

It's a simple relation for Intel based users to know what approximate performance they can get out of it so they don't think 'Aww 2.2GHz sucks'

To give an example look at some of the reviews on www.hardocp.com . it really depends on what ur doing to know wich one is faster. amds kick P4 butt on games eg AMD 64 939 3200+ kicks P4 3.6ghz without any ocing in many benchmarks and with a little push from oc land you can beat the p4 extreem editions easelly.
( i love my new system, just got it yesterday)

Jnewt427, what is the matter with you... Listin 3200+ (is the type of processor) The Brand (type). AMD and Intel name their processors different. AMD Athlon 64- is the processor chipset. Now the 3200+ is a type of AMD Athlon 64 processor. Pentium 4 is the name of the chipset. 3.2ghz is the name of a type of processor. 3200/3400/3500/3800 is the type of Athlon 64. Your completely understanding it wrong.

What more do you need to know? Go by the rating it is much accurate. The only reason AMD and Intel are equal despite clock speed differences are because of differenet architectures and technologies. The days are over when AMD use to release Intel clones that ran at higher voltages and higher temps. Clearly we have seen a turn around for AMD and I must say a very good one. Different technologies are implemented into AMD and Intel's processor architecture and designs. Firstly, AMD's AMD64 processors do not have a true FSB. They have an HTT link which reduces memory latencies/access times so much that you can basically say that an Intel has the worst memory performance. Intel is going by the "megahertz myth" which is use long pipelines to increase clock speeds. The days are over when clock speed was the only accurate measure of performance. There are other things to the equation and people have to change at least when relating to technology as times change.

Jnewt427 said:
Just to keep everybody on the right track here.

Leave out the high end processors, like AMD64's and Intels with hyperthreading.

Thats a completely different story all together.

Thanks

I wish you guys would leave the AMD64's out of this, I wanted to know about the athlon's, I know the AMD64's are a defferent story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom