notebook cpu speed differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does that mean i could buy a socket 478 pentium M and put into my computer and expect pretty good performance out of it or will that not work at all?

Put it this way...If you put a plain desktop CPU in a laptop, it would probably burn out your battery in 5 minutes and melt right through the plastic of the case.

Mobile chips are meant to run cooler and with less power. They tend to make the chips run cooler and with less power by taking a high-speed chip and underclocking it, labeling it a mobile chip.

Well, your mobo would have to support it, since mobile chips aren't really just underclocked chips. That was layman's speak. Second, nothing really...just you'd be cheating yourself out of power, and that mobile chips tend to be more expensive.

There's really no such thing as a Intel Centrino Processor. Intel Centrino is a combination of technology that optimizes mobile productivity.
Thats not nececarily true. if ther WAS no such thing as a centrino processor then why would they have comercials of it and be using it like a pentium4? I was also told that the centrino processors are supposed to out-date the p4's and intel will use them instead. IDK if this is true but ive only heard about it.:confused:
The reason is very similar to the reason that AMD's run at lower clock frequencies than (most) Intels, yet have higher performance than clock speed would seem to dictate -- A difference in architecture.

SO your saying intel jacked amd's cpu architecture or what?:eek: If not then please PM me and explain what your talking baout besides the l2 cache. Do they use the quantum speed architecture or is it basically a new chip or what?
does that mean i could buy a socket 478 pentium M and put into my computer and expect pretty good performance out of it or will that not work at all?
well acording to this
The 1.8GHz CPU that you are refering to is the Pentium M. It was designed from scratch to provide better performance with less power consumption. The clock frequency of a Pentium M cannot be direcly compared to that of any other processors. For example, a Pentium M 1.6GHz, like I have in my laptop, is said to have comparable performance to a Pentium 4 3.06GHz. The 1.8 is compared to the 3.2 or 3.4 (I can't remember exactly).
you should be able to put it in there and not only out perform but be cooler!:D If thats true of course. then again look at amd's cpu line and obviously a slower clock speed is working. Sorry if it takes me awhile to respond to any comments about my post i have to type at school cause my phone was shut off and i have dial up.:mad:

P.P. Mguire said:
Thats not nececarily true. if ther WAS no such thing as a centrino processor then why would they have comercials of it and be using it like a pentium4?

SO your saying intel jacked amd's cpu architecture or what?:eek: If not then please PM me and explain what your talking baout besides the l2 cache. Do they use the quantum speed architecture or is it basically a new chip or what?

Actually it is definitely true. The processor that so many refer to as a "Centrino" is actually a Pentium M. Here is a quick synopsis of what Centrino really is (quoted directly from Intel.com):

Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology is Intel's best technology for notebook computers. More than just a processor, it features fully integrated wireless LAN+ capability and breakthrough mobile performance while enabling great battery life in lighter, easier-to-carry notebook PCs.

Intel Centrino mobile technology includes the following components:

Intel® Pentium® M processor
Intel® 855 chipset family
Intel® PRO/Wireless Network Connection Family

And as for the architecture question... I was simply providing an example of how a completely different architecture can provide higher performance at lower clock speeds. They didn't (as far as anyone besides Intel knows) steal technology from AMD, but these new chips run at lower clock speeds and provide equivalent performance to higher clocked Pentium 4s, just like AMDs.

DyNaStY336 said:
does anyone really know if i can use the centrino on my desktop Mobo?

YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT USE CENTRINO ON YOUR DESKTOP!!!! HOWEVER, YOU CAN USE A PENTIUM M!!!

...It's already been done in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom