Buying a new computer... need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalfx

Beta member
Hey,
i've been looking into buying a new computer since mine is becoming outdated... i really don't know what options to go with.. right now i have;

P4 1.5Ghz 512MB RDRam
120GB HD / Radeon 9800TX 128MB

i want to update my CPU, but my motherboard dosn't support anything higher so i gotta change the cpu/motherboard/ram.

My question is, should i wait because reading the news and stuff they are saying Intel should be releasing new cpu chipsets..

i really don't want to buy a computer now and have to upgrade the mobo/cpu/ram again in 4-5months in order to stay uptop.

what should i do?

wait for the new stuff to come out and then buy the old stuff, unless you have enough money to spend... This way they'll really drop the prices and you can snag that stuff up. That's my opinion anyways. Regardless, whatever you end up getting (if you waited) you'd still be fine for the next 3-5 years really, except technology is really expanding a lot faster, so who knows.

welcome to tech-forums =)

Your computer isnt too bad at the moment, but your cpu is really showing the age. If you want to know when to upgrade...I'd recomend to get a new computer when Longhorn comes out so your computer will be set to run the new windows os very nicely indeed. Your graphics card right now is still good but its also showing its age. You should upgrade everything in a year or two rather than upgrade some parts in six months, then upgrade other parts in a years time.

Wayne

ya i agree u may also need some more ram to if u want to be playing games on ur comp. ur processor is for sure showing it age though. but u got a good size hard drive and could always just by another and add it to ur comp if u need more space. and my friend has the same graphics card and he loves it so u could stay with that. i rocommend just by a new motherboard and a new processor and maybe another stick of 512mb of ram. but i think after u did that it would be good. i recommend an amd64 3200+thats what i have its it works great and his cheaper then a 3.0gh P4 with the same old architecture they have had forever.

There is no reason to wait for the new stuff. The new chipset is always just faster than the old. I read about the newer Intel chipsets and it has no newer features than the current flagship 925XE chipset. The 925XE chipset supports every Intel processor up to a 1066 FSB. We are still running on 533 (Celeron D) and 800 (Pentium 4) and 1066 (P4 Extreme Edition, which is a piece of shit, a flagship P4 costing $200 even beats it). The P4 5xx that is standard right now are on 800. The upcoming 6xx will still be 800 according to sources. I wouldn't wait just for the sake of waiting. Plus, those newer chipset boards will be considerably overpriced and will stay that way at the first few months due to limited quantities and less demand.

I would recommend you get a Pentium 4 + Abit AA8-Duramax + Qualtiy or Value DDR2. That would keep you set for some time.

i will never wait for latest greatest...what currently avalible is awesome as is.....anything in the future will always be better...just depends what is important to you...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom