Noob building pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKimbles

Solid State Member
I have got about £600 pounds to play with, and I was wondering what you would upgrade on this (unbrought) pc

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor
Antec Sonata with 380-Watt power supply
Thermaltake Volcano 9
ABIT NF7-S
512 crucial ram
Nvidia geforce ti4200
IBM Hitachi 80GB Deskstar 120GXP 7200rpm Ultra ATA100
Lite-On 52x/32x/52x CD-RW

aNy suggestions?

Thanks
A. Noob

That video card is a little well....old. Its only a DX8 card. You would be much better off going with a mid-range ATI 9600 or something than going with a TI 4200.

Anyother modifications I should make? The 9600 is a lot more than the ti4200 but i can make that up. so, anything else? All help is greatly appreciated.

I suggest some cooling. A nice heatsink/CPU FAN. With XP's, you have to OC those processors. Oh yeah, 1GB RAM would be great.

I would agree on the video card. If it doesn't support DX9x, you will miss out on a number of newer games that will flat out not run on pre-DX9. The ram im not so sure about. While a gig is nice, try 512 first. I run only 512 and it seems adequate.

yea, if money is really that tight on the video card get a normal ati 9500. its just a little better in the benchmarks (i think) but has DX9 instead of 8.1 and should only be a few dollars more

is the thermal take cooler not enough? or should i buy another for the cpu?
Edit: Any recommended cpu coolers/ heatsinks. Andy any really good ram makes?

So my new list should be;
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ processor
Antec Sonata with 380-Watt power supply
Thermaltake Volcano 9
ABIT NF7-S
512 crucial ram
ATI 9500 or ATI 9600
IBM Hitachi 80GB Deskstar 120GXP 7200rpm Ultra ATA100
Lite-On 52x/32x/52x CD-RW

hey i recommend if ur cpu is retail it already comes with a fan that was made spesically for it and there should be no need to buy new heatsink. but u got a good buget computer there for the money and what does 600 pounds convert into US dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom