VERY slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bohemian

Solid State Member
My OS is 98 2nd edition. I have alays run regular maintenance and never had any real problems. As of late the machine runs SLOW...real slow. I switched to cable a few months ago. My niece runs AIM and leaves in on 24-7 and that's when the problems seem to have started. I have run all of the spy-ware etc. suggested on this site a d removed everything it found. I regularly dump the temp files, defrag, etc. I do the ctrl-alt-delete thing to sgut down all programs running in the background when I defrag. I always take it down to explor and systry. There is now a Winmgmt there that WILL NOT turn off. Could this be causing a problem or is the AIM causing a problem or??? Please help. Thanks.

Yep thats what it is no doubt.Theres lots of free programs for that on the net.

So, does that mean just having the AIM logged on? Or does that mean we should shut the computer down? With the cable connection are we 'online' if we are not logged on to the server?

It is a very good idea to shut a computer down when you are not using it. Running aim 24/7 is not a very good idea either, since AIM seems to magically put stuff on your comp; it's just a good idea because you have cable to, and as beforesaid, the comp is vulnarable to viruses, etc.

go to start, run, type msconfig and press ok

go to startup, and uncheck everything except explorer

also, if you shut down your computer, it is not online even with cable internet, however your modem is always online

Hi, I did that and it turned off things like the anti-virus etc. I put everything back...how do know what not to turn off...there are a whole lot of things listed there? It did however, run much beter when evrything was turned off so I assume most things in there can go but I don't know which is whick because there are not so blatant as...Noton Anti Virus. Oh, there was no Explore in there! Thanks so much for your help with this.

By the way, when everything was unchecked, I just clicked on the Norton icon assuming it would just open it up even though it wasn't in the notification area and it said it performed an illegal operation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom