Is my Old PSU usable In my New Comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazed_climber

Baseband Member
I got a 300 watt PSU in my old comp and I want to know if I cant get away using it for awhile till I can afford a better one.
Heres whats goin in my new sys;

Athlon 64 (939) 3500+

Asus A8V Deluxe

Kingston DDR PC3200 512mb(will put in another stick when I can afford it)

Radeon 9200 (Gefore 6600GT when I can afford it)

Dvd Burner

2 hardrives (60+40gig normal IDE)

yeah should be able to handle it. any if it cant it wont stuff anything up you will just notice it being unstable till u get a better psu

A 300W PSU should be able to cope with it, and provide correct voltages. Bear in mind you can pick up a 500w PSU for £10, but the base wattage is not all you should be looking for, if you want accurate voltage. I've not seen a power supply doing harm to components, so cheap is best generally. If it's just a home system, cheap works.

300w for that? I would be conserned that it might not be enough. How high are the voltages on that psu? I would suggest a 450-550w Antec psu. They have great voltage rails, last forever and are very quiet.

Yea for sure I would deffinately upgrade. I was just wondering if I could get away with it for a couple of months till I can afford a better one. (Im still in highschool, dont make much money)

So cheap psu can be alright cuz I saw this psu/case combo for dirt cheap.
Link Here

I would still recommend upgrading to alteast 420w , I wouldnt wanna risk damaginng in any way if I was you...

I highly doubt it. Not only is the output relatively low, your rails probably don't have the current to power an Athlon 64, which recommends at least 18 amps on the 12v rail.

As OCgod has suggested, it's better to spend a bit of money on something more reliable than to skimp out and risk damaging your equipment. The former choice seems a lot less expensive.

Acceptable, yes. But I still thinks that really pushing the limits, but hey, you never know!

Also, if you're planning on using a SATA drive, your PSU may not have the appropriate connections.

I dont mean on my 300w psu. I mean on my future purchase of a psu it should have a minimum of 18amps on the 12v. How many watt do you think I need if I eventualy want to add a Gefore 6600Gt evga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom