What can I do to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
What can I do to make this rig run better?

SkyHawk/EagleTech Case
Antec TruePower 450W PSU
Micron DDR333 3x256MB
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Unlocked)
ASUS A7V8X-X (POS)
Generic 3 1/2 Floppy Drive
Lite-On DVD-RW
Generic 52x CD-ROM
Seagate 36.6 GB U320 HDD 15K
LSI Logic U320 Controller PCI-X/PCI
Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM
Chaintech GeForce MX 4000 (POS)

USES: SOME GAMING, OVERCLOCKING, SQL/ORACLE WORK, REMOTE DESKTOP, WINDOWS 2000 SERVER, INTERNET...

You have a SCSI Drive on that? I think the processors needs to be replaced. Thats where your going to gain the most and best type of speed. Im sure thats a 754. If you are really serious, socket 939 mobo, 3200 clawhammer.

I was thinking you had a 64, and a 754 board. Nevermind that, sorry i been on stuff all day, not paying as much attention as i should. Well, im sure you done your OC on that XP. Since thats all their good for. If its just not working with your needs, you can go with a howl new mobo, and a moderate processor. Since your working on your master rig also.

I think doing that would be a good idea. Having somthing pretty fast to go along with your master computer.

My main problem is deciding what to do since there are so many options. I haven't oced the XP yet because remember that board is a POS. It is on the ancient KT400 chipset that doesn't allow for a very nice OC. Secondly, my RAM is holding me back. How is this board? What RAM should I get and how much?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-138&depa=0

How does this one look (not for my proc, but I will change if it looks like a good ocer)?

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241160

The second motherboard you've posted is a 939 board, but the DLI board is an excellent overclocker from what I have heard, add in one or two sticks of 512mb DDR400 and you should be able to overclock pretty well.

With the rest of your money, I would invest in cooling products in order to increase overclocking potential. Whenever I have a computer that I feel is slightly out of date, but don't feel like buying new parts just yet, I generally soup it up with some cooling and overclock it.

The nice thing about this is the fact that unlike actual parts, cooling hardware isn't going to underpeform in newer systems and it can easily be transfered into future systems, unlike actual PC hardware. Very good investment in my opinion, pick yourself up some heatsinks, fans, and even watercooling if you really wanted to.

Ok, I'll buy another Thermaltake BigWater. Out of curiosity though, how is that Socket 939 board?

Gaara, I know it is Socket 939...I'm just asking if that looks like a good Socket 939 overclocking board? To me, it looks ok...anyway, I'm going to take your advice and just change some components in that sys until XP-64 comes out...I don't want to spend so much cause then I have to hold plans on my master rig...anyways here we goo...I'll post 'em in a sec...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom