OS and Partitioning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

atbear

Solid State Member
I'm pretty good on a computer, but I've never partitioned before..... I just put it all on the same harddrive with no partition on my present computer..... of course right now all I have is a 13.6GB HDD.

I'm getting a 60GB 7200RPM HDD on my new Sager 5680.... should I partition it when I get it? Will it help in anyway (performance wise)? I've never had any harddrive problems or had to reformat before, so I'm not worried about losing stuff really, but I want what's best..... What's the general concensus about partitioning? Thinking about doing a 10GB for OS and programs, 2GB Swap File and 48GB for data? I don't really know anything about partitioning, does that sound like a good plan? Should I change up those numbers?

Also, my computer will come with WinXP Pro already installed..... should I partition (using Partition Magic) the already installed OS when I receive my computer with XP, or should reformat and reinstall to get it done from scratch? Thanks!

Umm...

Let me 1st tell you how I am running mine!

80 Gig Hard Drive and a 30 Gig Hard Drive!

80 Gig I cut into 2 40 Gig hard drives running WinXP on 1 of the partitions and Win2000 Advanced Server on the other and using the 30 gig for music, pictures and crap!

You kind of confused me on what your computer will actually have!

How many hard-drives will your PC Have? and what hard-drive is WinXP on?

Once I understand that much..Ill help you out

Thanks, I'll only have one 60GB 7200RPM Harddrive.... It'll be used for word processing, internet, email, gaming, music storage, maybe a little digital video editing (not hardcore) if that matters. Here are my specs:

3.0GHz P4 800MHz FSB w/ HT - 1024MB 400MHz DDR RAM - 60GB 7200RPM HDD - ATI 128MB M10-Pro - 8x DVD/24x10x24 CDRW Combo - Win XP Pro

I heard it was a good idea to have the OS (and maybe programs too?) on one partition, and have the data (documents/music) on another... and then have a good sized swap file consolidated on another partition... what do you think?

i would put your data on a separate partition from your OS (and yes i always do a fresh install of my OS to get rid of all the crap from the company i bought it from, best buy is the worst about that) and i only recommend the partition because of this:

most viruses install themselves in the system32 folder or the windows folder, if you partition, and have to reinstall your OS, you dont lose all your data

OR

what you could do is just install your OS in the 13GB and use the 60GB for data (youll need to set the 13 as master and the 60 as slave or booting will take longer)

neways, thats my 2¢ just let me know if you need any more help

Thanks! The 13GB is gonna be gone when I get my new comp...... I shouldn't have any crap on my computer when I get it, cause it's not a Dell (or Best Buy) so they don't have too many tie ins with people who would force their stuff on a new computer....

Anybody else have an opinion about:

1. Whether to put programs with the OS or with the data?

2. Whether to use Partition Magic on a already formatted HD, or reformat and reinstall to do the partitioning?

o i c, well, ou could just partition like 10GB for your OS and have a 4GB swap file and then leave the othe 50GB for data and such

in addition to what dethangel suggested..its actually quite practical to separate OS/programs/applications from the rest of your files. like in my case,..i have three partitions on my 60gb hard drive. 20gb..for os/apps ..20 for games..and another 20 for mp3's and media files. so when everything fails..i still have the media files intact and i dont have to set the drive as slave in another pc to retrive the files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom