Explain This To Me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, it's not like an insane amount of performance. I'd just wait until you're ready to upgrade again down the road because chances are you'll want a new mobo and CPU anyway

Hey, don't be totally fooled, while 939 is the better way to go and will provide increased perfomance, socket 754 is in no way horrible.

Now for the original question, the 90nm cores that AMD introduced in their Athlon proccesors came after socket 939 was released, and as everyone knows, 939 is now considered the replacement for the socket 754 and 940 socket 64 bit proccesors.

Because of this, no new 754 Athlon 64s will be introduced, so 90nm cores were never, and will never be introduced into 754 proccesors as they are technically "lost cause"(don't take that the wrong way, I simply mean AMD has moved on to the better choice, but 754 is still quite good).

So basically the 754 socket proccesors that you see on the market now are the only ones you will ever see, AMD has no plans to introduce any new 754 proccesors.

Yeah i feel you, most i hate with 754 is the lack of dual channel ram and 90nm processors. But since 939 is on the table, i simply forgot about 754. Oh yeah MegaDeth, another great reason to forget about 754, those boards dont accept 90nm's.

But i sure do hope you get your hands on a 3400 Clawhammer 90nm.

I'm not building that rig, Codeine. I'm waiting a while and doing upgrades for my P4 rig. I'm waiting for more nForce4 Ultra boards to show up instead of a handful of vanilla boards and Sli ones.

waynejkruse10 said:
Socket 754 is probly what companies sell to comsumers who only know that "Athlon 64 is really high performance", not that "Athlon 64 Socket 939 is high performance". Its good for companies because they can advertise it as 64bit and the chips and mobo's are fairly in-expensive.

Exactly.

Yes, but you are putting the customers in such a position that whatever they have is to lose. But then again, the only people who buy pre-built computers from name brand companies are those who don't much either about what is going into their new computer...ok nof offense to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom