Explain This To Me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadeth2

Daemon Poster
What is stopping AMD from releasing Socket 754 Winchesters? What I don't understand is why they released the 754 first anyway? It screwed over all the people who built a beastly rig and then end up having to do an overhaul or upgrade only till 3700+?

One of the many reasons why I tell people not to jump on the first bandwagon to come through town.

You always know when something new is released, within a couple of weeks something better will be released, or what was released in the first place will be dropped and replaced with something else.

Don't know how to answer your question though megadeth besides my thoughts on why people shouldn't have bought the AMD64's when they were first released.

I figure whether it be AMD or Intel occasionally have to release a couple versions of the same thing I guess to see which one proves better as far as performance, architecture, technology, heat, factors of that nature.

But yeah in all honesty it's stupid that they release socket 754 which doesn't support dual channel, socket 940 which requires only ECC and registered RAM, that basically by default leaves 939 as the best option in the first place.....so like you said...why bother with 754 when 939 seemed to always be the best choice.

Yeah, but you try this at the hand of customers. You put your customers through misery and screw 'em over.

Yeah I know. That's what I'm sayin I don't know how to answer it. You'd have to take that up with AMD :p

Socket 754 is probly what companies sell to comsumers who only know that "Athlon 64 is really high performance", not that "Athlon 64 Socket 939 is high performance". Its good for companies because they can advertise it as 64bit and the chips and mobo's are fairly in-expensive.

Pretty much wayne. I'd say that's probably the closest and best reason for them to do it. It pisses us off that know about it, but think of all the people who barely even know about computers. They think it's an awesome deal more than likely

EDIT: Besides socket 754 will last atleast a year, so if you got a decent setup with a good 754 CPU then you should be set for a while and then you'll wind up upgrading the CPU and mobo like most people do anyway

The other thing I don't understand is why release a new core, when two months later, you'll release another new core that just has SSE3 extensions. Winchester will soon be replaced by Venice and Venice is the Winchester except with SSE3 extensions. Couldn't they have added SSE3 to Winchester and just released it like that. Now, the Winchester users have a new reason to upgrade whether they want to or not.

my friend got a athlon 64 3000+ system with 1gb of ram and a 6800gt for $3700 Australian. He got ripped of i know, but what would be really bad if its only a 754.

I bought a socket 754 Chip because they were cheaper, and it allowed me to get a nice Graphics card. So my question to you guys is, if socket 754 chips are as horrible in preformace as you say they are, would it be better for me to eBay my chip and board for around $200 and pick up a 939 Chip and Board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom