XP questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadahaf

Daemon Poster
Does XP Upgrade use wpa (you know the one where you need a pervious win install)

How can I get XP to run faster I heard turning theskin to the old win98 skin will speed certain programs up is this true? And if so how?

I heard turning theskin to the old win98 skin will speed certain programs up is this true? And if so how?

not sure to what extent it is true but i have heard of it. To do it, right click on the desktop >> properties >> appearance >> in the 'windows and buttons' combo box select 'Windows Classic Style'

The new XP skin (all that Apple-like crap) is fancy and all, but it still runs on some HUGE graphics libraries. I really wish MS would switch to a gif or jpeg based OS GUI, but whatever.

Anyway, yeah, switching the Appearance settings to "Classic" helps a lot. Also, get rid of any animations for dialogs and menus unless you have a totally beefy card. This can be found and altered under the "Effects" button on the Appearances tab of the Display Properties dialog.

Also, don't use any animated cursors. And, depending on how beefy your graphics card is, don't use any heavy (big file size) background pics. In fact, if I'm on a sub-awsome computer, I always run with a no-picture black background.

Other than that, you can streamline your system with tweaks and other stuff, but you'll have to search around the web for that as I'm not writing it all! :)

Yea Im going to try that I like the win 2000 look anyways ^^

anyone know the ans to # 1?

Yes. If you have an upgrade version of Windows, you must have a previous version of windows installed for it to work. Secondly, you must have a version that is supported by the update. (FOr example, you can't upgrade 98 to XP because the builds are just too far apart.)

I don't know about the xp upgrade, but setting you theme to windows classic (then you can put any picture that you want there) and the appearance to classic too, in windows XP will save you anywhere from 30 to 60 mb of ram (not counting your video card) and everything else seems to move faster

ShoobieRat, did you mean Win 95 or earlier; as XP upgrade is for upgrading from 98 to XP.

"Yes. If you have an upgrade version of Windows, you must have a previous version of windows installed for it to work. Secondly, you must have a version that is supported by the update. (FOr example, you can't upgrade 98 to XP because the builds are just too far apart.)"

Currently i have the win200 look, not bad, and the taskbar doesnt take up so much room. Its almost feels my operating system has slimmed down because everything isnt round and bubbly anymore, its all thin and square.

I've had intermittent problems upgrading from all builds lower than Win2000sp4.

I've never been able to get an edition of 98 to upgrade to XP, and I've only gotten a couple 98SE editions to do it. It's not really worth upgrading 95-98-NT, since the architecture has changed so much that the installer pretty much just blows everything away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom