Motherboard problems?? Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongb18c

In Runtime
Recently putting a computer together for a friend... it's a AMD duron 1.6ghz. I had an old Asus mainboard laying around so to save money, I figured it use that [this board is for AMD xp's, am I correct assuming that the duron processors will work as well?, it fits after all] However, the first time booting up I noticed the HD and CD drive not receiving any power, at first I though it was the power unit... so I took the power unit out of my comp and tested... still nothing.

I do get a picture however.... it's the screen you get when you first boost up the ram check and it gets stuck at "checking IDE connections" or something like that.
I checked to make sure everything is connected tight, also the HD and CD rom is all brand new, as are the cables. Before I go buy a new board, just wanted to ask if there's something I missed. Btw, I'm using an old 300watt psu that came with my friend's old comp, basically replacing some internals.

Yeah durons will work down to a certain speed but yours is fine, obviously otherwise you wouldn't have been able to see the POST screen.

I've never seen a CD-ROM and/or hard drive not get power though when atempting to boot up unless either a molex connector was extremely loose or something along those lines which you said you already checked.

The power just goes straight from the PSU to the hard drive so if they aren't getting power then it has to be something to do with the PSU unless they both coincidentally happen to be dead

Are they not getting power or since hes not getting past boot could it be that the jumpers are wrong.Set the hard drive as master and the CD ROM as slave if there on the same cable.And if they are move the ribbon cable to the other IDE plug you might have a bad one. My last used computer had a bad one.

The cd-rom drive or hard drive don't make a sound... the cd-rom drive does not open.. therefore I'm assuming it's not receiving power. But I don't understand what it could be since I checked the cables.. I tested a diff psu... I've also bought the HD and CD-rom new. I really don't know what else to do other than try a diff board.

Sigh.... I've never had this kind of a dead-end problem occur when putting hardware together. I'm going to try a difference HD and CD-rom... to make sure it is or it is not the board.

What is a molex connector. Where can I get a new one... are they expensive?

a molex connector is the connector from the power supply that you plug into your hard drive/cd rom drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom