Celeron-D vs. Pentium 4 (Prescott)

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_arcangel

Beta member
Hi!

Thanks for the great forum - you'll probably see it's my first post, so this question is from a noob!

I'm going to be upgrading and budget wise have been given the option of:

Celeron-D 2.8Ghz with 533Mhz DDR motherboard
OR:
Pentium 4 2.4Ghz Prescott with 533 Mhz DDR Motherboard
OR:
AMD Sempron 2600+ with AMD motherboard

The supplier hasn't given me the exact models of the motherboard but they are supposedly (?)Asus.

I'd like to know whether the P4 running at 2.4 is still better than the celeron-D 2.8 (considering the motherboard is running at 533Mhz), or should I go straight for AMD?

The problem is that I have no experience with AMD, have a limited budget and little knowledge.

HELP please!

Do you have to get one of those...? Because neither are very good processors. Why dont you get this
Intel Pentium 4/ 3.0E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache for 185$. Thats not a bad price, and it has 1mb cache.

But if your doing anything gaming, then AMD is what you need. Seems like you cant spend alot of money, so i would get a Athlon 3200 socket 939 Newcastle.

Out of those three processors, the Celeron D is the middle option. It doesn't offer bad performance for the buck. Actually, the current generation Celerons are the best I've seen after the first ones. Remember that good old Celery 300A that use to whoop a PII! Anyways, your best option would be to get a Pentium 4 2.4 IF YOU ARE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT UPGRADABILITY.

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm pressing for a P4 3Ghz, which is about R700 (about $100) more than a Celeron-D 2.8Ghz.

I was wondering if there is an online source comparing the two in performance? Could you point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks :)

PS: I'm having difficulty replying to posts- the server tells me I'm not logged in, even if I do- any idea what's wrong?

You have to go to the main page and scroll to the bottom and login. That way it will cookie you and you will stayed logged in.

Anyways, your best option would be to get a Pentium 4 2.4 IF YOU ARE NOT CONCERNED ABOUT UPGRADABILITY.

^^
Just wanted to know why the P4 2.4 has an issue with upgradeability, has it got to do with the 533Mhz FSB?

Also should I go for an Intel MoBo, or is Asus ok as an alternative (it is definately much cheaper!)

The P4 2.4 is based on the Socket 478 package. Intel makes no more CPUs on that package. So, you will just have a dead socket with less features. You should get yourself an LGA775 processor. Those are the new ones and that is what the new processors will be made on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom