Computer randomly shuts down....not a virus, already tried new motherboard & RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boraman

Beta member
Hi I have been having issues with my computer lately......It just turns itself off randomy.. At first, I thought it was the motherboard, I replaced it and still having issues. The problem is the computer randomly dies and is progressivly getting worse. At first it just rebooted in windows, I figured a virus, then it did it before windows and even in BIOS. As I said it is getting worse, it used to reboot, now it just dies and I have to unplug the motherboard until the LED goes off and plug it back in to start it up again...... The issue went away for about 2 weeks and came back 3 days ago with one random shut down, today it happened again and it wont even get to windows, it evne died 3 times in BIOS.

Now: I have replaced the MB and the RAM and it has not helped......my last 2 guesses are Power supply and Processor....

Any guesses what it is?:confused:

Make sure your CPU isnt at a high temp. If it is at a normal temp then it is most likely your power supply....... How much wattage does it have?

I have already tried formatting and had no luck...... my reason for thinking its not the hard drive is that it reboots in BIOS, before the HD is even on (I think that is correct?)

Am I wrong to lean towards the processor as the problem? I dont know why it would be the power supply only because ive had the ps for like 3 years and when it dies, although pressing the power button does nothing to the computer unless I unplug the cord, the LED is on so there is SOME power...

let me know what you all think.

Please take the advice of uzi9mm. The processor or heatsink may be improperly seated, causeing the temp to raise to high. When this happens, your comp will shut down to prevent you from frying your CPU. Go in the BIOS and check the temp reading. If your BIOS doesnt have a temp reading, go download Motherboard Monitor and run that. The temp should be nothing more than 60C. If it is more, then the heat is causing the problem. If it is in the range under that, check the temp at which the computer will shut down (again this is in the BIOS). I would set it at 60C. Most CPUs will handle up 70C before damage will occur.

If the CPU is not the problem, then I dont know what the deal is. If you can not start up your PC to check all this, I would reset the BIOS. This is done by turning off the computer, unplug the power cord, and remove the battery. Then move the correct jumper (check your motherboard manual) to the 2-3 position for about a minute then move it back to 1-2. Then plug everything back in. There are many things that can change your BIOS settings. This happenned to me with a bad OC on my vidcard. Everything worked fine, but it would screw up the graphics after playing for a while, causing me to have to restart. Clearing the BIOS fixed that.

Let us know.

ah ha!

I overloaded the comp to see if that was the problem and sure enough it shut down, i checked the bios and as soon as it got to 60C shut down.

Definatly an overheating problem.

What do you think is the best way to fix this problem? i did NOT use thermal paste when I put the fan in because i didnt have any around.... will that solve hte problem or just help a bit? Should I get a new CPU fan?

let me know

I would get a good heatsink and fan combo. The more $$ you can spend the better. I dont know of a specfic one for AMD, but I am sure someone can recommend one. I do know that AMDs get hotter than Intels. Also make sure that you have proper air flow through the case. You can check this by leaving the case side off and then checking temps. Also, do yourself a favor and get some Artic Silver 5. That stuff is great for lowering temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom