DVD RW problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaisermoran

Baseband Member
I have just installed a samsung TS-H552B dual layer 16x dvd r/rw in place of my old samsung cd-rw. I am experiencing some problems

1. When I play a dvd the sound is awful, all choppy but it works fine on the other dvd drive.

2. Write speed seems slow, I burned a 2 hour dvd and it took 30 minutes, Is this normal?

thanks for your help.

Deano.

I havent burned any movies on my new Sony but i did create a Data disk with about 4.40 gigs of data took about 20 minutes.
Look for a firmware update on it .Ive seen sound problems on different units ive worked on .It could be a defective drive which was my case or try a new sound card or Scard driver updates.

what are your specs? if its choppy video and audio it could be your computer speed but even 30 minutes does seem a little long, are you burning at 4X because it takes me half an hour at 4X to burn that much data

sorted it out cheers guys

I changed it to primary slave and that seems to have sorted the sound out.

The write speed is probably because I am using crappy disks.

FYI: Good sotware for archiving your own DVDs is DVD Shrink (freeware). You can automatically chose which features you want and which menus you want from the disc, then it automatically degrades the video a little bit (completely unnoticable on non HD TVs) to get it below 4.7 GB (one single layered disc size).

I have a habit of treating my discs like dirt (leaving them out int he open and never putting them away). So, archiving is a must for me, otherwise, my DVDs wouldn't even last a year.

Note: If you are archiving for the far future, everything eventually will be going to HD. So, a degraded video (due to DVD shrink) will look like crumb compared to its original DVD. But, for now, there is no difference on analog TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom