Computer Tech Store Couldnt Solve This Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm, I am no expert but I have heard bad things about Maxtor hard drives. May want to try another brand like Seagate or Western Digital.

Just my 2 cents.

Sh0rtD0gg said:
Before I begin to tell you this problem, to me it is basically unsolvable at this point.

Everything that I open is coruptted ALMOST everything, some programs will install correctly, but after a short few hours some of them will not even open, like when say I click on Dvd Shrink it just does nothing.
Ive Reinstalled the programs plenty of times NOTHING.
Half Life 2
Norton Antivirus 2005 in stalled from 2 different cd roms that have been cleaned numerous times will not install says corupted cab files or various other files corupted.
Discs are brand new and work on my mothers and buddys computer just fine.
Ive even put my buddys cdrom drive in my computer same thing happens still.
Windows XP on 3 different discs during copying of the files says a file or 2 wont install on so I have to skip the file.

Mind you If formatted my computer 7 times in 3 days, deleted partitions, I did the long format twice in a row. It dont matter still same stuff happens.
And you would think formatting would fix it all, but It doesnt.

I cant even get Norton on to check for a virus, but i used the one from their site, and one to check my memory for viruses nothing has came up.

It cant be a virus in my files or folders it would be whiped after a format or deleting my partion.

Right now I cant even open winamp basically much of nothing.

This is Windows XP Home Edition, a Legit copy.
Also Tried 2 other Legit Copies of it, same thing happens.

Any Clues, anybody who can solve this will be rewarded kindly.

it is one of 2 things

1) it is a bottleg copy of XP (more likely) and microsoft has put the lock on it when you went to windows update. reformatting will not fix it with XP tools

2) somebody has written a virus to your boot sector (less likely)

http://downloads.maxtor.com/_files/maxtor/en_us/downloads/powermax.exe

put this on a floppy. do a low level format (full) format. Microsoft tools just won't work. if no. 1 is your problem Buy you a legit copy of xp. if no. 2 is your problem, reinstall with your xp cd.

you could also take the drive out and put it on another computer and use PM to create a partiton on the 7.8mb unalloacted part of the drive (boot sector), then delete it and erase the rest of the hard drive

To Eric B

My Windows Disk is a Legit copy of XP. BUTTTTT

The Copy was regestired to one of my old computers, and when I install it, it just wants me to activate it within 30 days, which stilll woulldnt do all this crap.

So Im Hoping it is 2.

I installed XP on my dads computer and the one im using now and the one I sold 5 months ago. You have to activate by phone.. They will ask you is this your first time activating XP today? you have to say NO, then they will ask Why are you activating it today? You say I had to reinstall windows due to a virus. Then they ask is it installed on any other computer , YOU SAY NO,... Then they will give you a new installation ID and code and bingo your on.....

And if you want to get all legal about it technically you can install XP on 1,000computers and legally use it if it is use only on 1 cpu at any time. Look it up it is in your EULA

that is teh suck...out of any of the above...its the hard drive, i'd guess hard drive and if its not that its something on the mobo.(prolly not pci cards or anything but memory or another chip on the mobo.)

uzi9mm said:
I installed XP on my dads computer and the one im using now and the one I sold 5 months ago. You have to activate by phone.. They will ask you is this your first time activating XP today? you have to say NO, then they will ask Why are you activating it today? You say I had to reinstall windows due to a virus. Then they ask is it installed on any other computer , YOU SAY NO,... Then they will give you a new installation ID and code and bingo your on.....

And if you want to get all legal about it technically you can install XP on 1,000computers and legally use it if it is use only on 1 cpu at any time. Look it up it is in your EULA

format it with power max. then follow these instruction

What you might want to do is start off with 1 stick on ram, and 1 harddrive. Unplug all cd drives, floppy, extra ram, video card, sound card, fans etc. Lets start your pc with minimal devices and drivers. When you installed XP Home, did you do all of your updates including SP2 and the updates after SP2? Where you installing programs while running SP2 at the same time or any other updates? If so, this could cause a problem. Here is what I do.

Install XP
Install all updates from either free update cd from Microsoft or ust go online to Windows Updates
Install drivers only need for my Mobo
Install Video Card
Install Sound Card
Install Nic Card

Try FDISKing and FORMATING your pc again and follow these instructions after you do the first suggestion.

Warez Monster said:
What you might want to do is start off with 1 stick on ram, and 1 harddrive. Unplug all cd drives, floppy, extra ram, video card, sound card, fans etc. Lets start your pc with minimal devices and drivers. When you installed XP Home, did you do all of your updates including SP2 and the updates after SP2? Where you installing programs while running SP2 at the same time or any other updates? If so, this could cause a problem. Here is what I do.

Install XP
Install all updates from either free update cd from Microsoft or ust go online to Windows Updates
Install drivers only need for my Mobo
Install Video Card
Install Sound Card
Install Nic Card

Try FDISKing and FORMATING your pc again and follow these instructions after you do the first suggestion.

trust me on this. it won't work. Microsoft locked his computer. these are the exact symptoms that your computer will exhibit when this happens. it won't even let you load an OS properly, so reformatting with microsoft tools won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom