What did I screw up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What were you doing inside your computer case with it on in the first place? The only time you ever need to do that is hotflashing the BIOS

Nubius,

No need to dwell on it, is there. What's done is done. Now do you have any useful advice for me?

that must suck, ruining a whole computer, ive never done that before. The worst ive done is screwed the psu, mobo, graphics card but everything else was intact. good luck in getting some components working.

Yeah, I'm still wanting to know what exactly you were doing inside your case, so anyone else who might try that will know not to. And on top of that I was saying, hotflashing is the only time that requires you to be inside there with it on so people don't automatically assume that there is absolutely no time you should be in there.

It was a simple question and statement, don't take offense man. I don't see how a power connector could have done anything to a HD when the connectors are plastic.

dont you have warranty on your parts?
Yeah you should definitely check out the manufacturer warrenties. HD's are like 3 years, RAM is generally 3 years I believe, vid cards probably a year. That would save you quite a bit of cash

Just tell them that you had a thunder storm and shit got fried!!!!!
BUT DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT TELL them that it wont work due to your negligence.

The connectors are plactic but there are metal contacts inside that could short the mobo if touched at the right angle and it could travel through the whole system in a second. I've dont that before, heard a small "pop", and that was it. It hit the harddrive connector because I unplugged it from the harddrive but left it like in the slot accidentally and it just touched it, and that was it, so it is possible.

I am sure the warranty doesn't cover me screwing them up.

Nubius, I had a couple of HD's I was going to hook up after I had Windows installed on the first and everything up and running. I left the cover off the case so I could do this. I went to push a cable to one side so I could look at the MOBO and some how I got a power cable to touch metal on one of the HD's... there was an electrical pop and the computer immediately shut down.

This is going to end up being a 700 + dollar lesson!

I am sure the warranty doesn't cover me screwing them up.
Yeah you leave that part out, trust me I fried a stick of RAM and I just said 'Oh please kingston I don't know what happened it just stopped working' and they sent me a replacement.

That sucks dude =/ I really didn't mean for it to come off like 'WHAT THE HECK NOOB' or anything like that, I was just wondering how that connector did that =/

You really should atleast try the manufacturer warrenty though. Just act all scared and unknowing of anything and generally they will replace it rather than try and find out what you did or didn't do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom