Browser War. Pcworld test to see who is the best browser. Guess who won?

Status
Not open for further replies.
EricB said:
A year from now on this date, we will see if that holds true. 4 months ago IE held 98% of the market. Now it 90%. With all of the newspapers and magazines people telling everybody to switch to other browsers, we will see how long it hold true.
FINE we will see... it's a FAD, unless (and i seriously doubt it) Firefox or Opera coems out with something "revolutionary" the market will drift back to 98%, but honestly come on and argue with me that over 4 months of mass media and firefox being shoved down everyone's throughts and it's only moved the market by <8%!!! come on!!

Didn't somebody infect a lot of corperations last year through IE?
um what are you talking about.
chances are as 90% (guessing based on my own research) of the viruses that were spread last year and all major ones came through email and active X (which if you read is not internet explorer) that's like saying b/c it was java it was IE's fault!!

EricB said:
then they are stupid enough to tell everybody in exact detail how they fix the patch, so people can write codes to attack the patch.

then the endless cycle starts. patch, attack, patch, attack. when all you have to do is use something else

since when do "they" attack patches.
name one!
name one virus, spyware anything EricB. prove me wrong and i'll never use IE again.

sasser. hold on while I find the link. it didn't directly have to do with IE, But it was made through an exploited patch.

the article is in pc world or pc magazine or computer world. I can't find the mag in which it was in (i just look through 10 or 11 of them). you look it up

I can't think any other off the top of my head. I don't get viruses or trojans, because I use firefox. But I also was trying to find the article that stated how most hacker analyze MS's patch then attack it (they had interviewed some hackers) as that is an easier way to create a virus than starting from scratch.

first off Sasser worm and variants exploited LSASS, and although this may have been an issue adressed already, if i remember corectly it didn't attack the patch, and in fact microsoft got in trouble over this b/c they didn't make the patch very visable. they had already fixed it, and supplied the patch you just had to look for it. and MS got in trouble b/c it wasn't part of windows updates or automatic updates... something like that... in any case this triggers the media into another feeding frenzy and walla out comes SP2 to solve the worlds problems and passify the media at least for a while. at this point MS realizes that they have a bit of a problem being the #1 selling market controlling software gods... and thus the target for every phyco who wants to write a virus (these people should be shot IMO). So with SP2 MS starts a show of good faith and makes severall improvements in the way they go about things... they admit they aren't perfect and offer more userfriendly solutions to keep security strong. they are also a bit more open about what they do so that they don't appear to be "hiding" anything as they are commonly accused.

now what does this have to do with a browser?

Roshi229 said:
first off Sasser worm and variants exploited LSASS, and although this may have been an issue adressed already, if i remember corectly it didn't attack the patch, and in fact microsoft got in trouble over this b/c they didn't make the patch very visable. they had already fixed it, and supplied the patch you just had to look for it. and MS got in trouble b/c it wasn't part of windows updates or automatic updates... something like that... in any case this triggers the media into another feeding frenzy and walla out comes SP2 to solve the worlds problems and passify the media at least for a while. at this point MS realizes that they have a bit of a problem being the #1 selling market controlling software gods... and thus the target for every phyco who wants to write a virus (these people should be shot IMO). So with SP2 MS starts a show of good faith and makes severall improvements in the way they go about things... they admit they aren't perfect and offer more userfriendly solutions to keep security strong. they are also a bit more open about what they do so that they don't appear to be "hiding" anything as they are commonly accused.

now what does this have to do with a browser?

reread my post. it SP2 is so great why are people still getting patches through windows update

b/c SP2 didn't sove everything
how many patches did NT have? do you remember? have you ever had to work on an NT machine?

it wasn't meant to solve EVERYTHING!
Eric, i'm done with this... you don't know everything! i know i don't but....
this is over.
good day to you.

next time i'll use proper tags [SARCASM] sp2 solve world problems... [/SARCASM]

edit**
why can't i stop? why is it so tempting...

I know I don't everything. that is why I read books and ask questions. I'm watching 3rd watch. I'm done too.

all you have to do is pick up a magazine made in the past 2 years to see how a hacker exploited a patch and MS had to issue another patch. It wasn't like it only happen once. It happen plenty of times

No one ever said IE was the end all solution. It's simply packaged with the OS and most people refer to IE as 'The internet' itself.

So why sit here and argue pointless jibberish?

Go out and inform the public who doesn't already know about IE and it's security flaws. Most of the people here don't care <---- me, or are already using another browser.

IE is to windows as a stock heatsink is to a new CPU. Yeah it's decent, but of course if you want more you gotta look for other sources.

Imagine that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom