Transplanting old Dell = No Joy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadMonkey

Beta member
I volunteered to help my friend move his old Dell P3-700 into a new aluminum case. (pls don't ask why he would spend money on a fancy case and put a clunker in there, I couldn't even begin to explain)
Anyway... when I try to fire it up, all I get is a small buzzing noise from the power supply (also new), and no indications of power anywhere else. If I disconnect the motherboard and just connect the front bezel controls, (lights, motorized front panel, etc) the front comes to life like it should.
The front panel has a connector that fits in between the p.s. connector and the motherboard (so it's powered even when the pc is off).

Any ideas/insights are appreciated. I hope I didn't fry something. (Then again, if I did, he might have to buy some real hardware)

Thanks.
:D

You may be shorting the power to the case through the motherboard.. I would go down to a computer store or a home improvement place (like home depot or lowes) and find some nylon screws to replace the metal ones that you are probably using at this point.

If you have the ability I would also put a voltage meter on the outputs from the power supply and make sure that the output is what it should be.

Also, do the normal stuff.. Reseat all of the periferal cards (video, network card, sound card, etc.) reseat the memory, etc...

One last thing.. When you were changing things over, did you remove the CPU chip or did you leave it on the board and did you use an antistatic strap while you were working on this?

Alexander

in addition to what ALex suggested,..make sure all those plugs are tight and plugged correctly.

if you cant get nylon screws,..use at least two layers of tape. cut the tape into small squares...stick the tapes or cover the holes of the mobo,..front and back. make small holes on the tape so that the screws will go thru..make sure no part of the mobo is touching the mounting screws.

before booting,..spray the inside of the pc with anti-static spray. if you don't have, use anti static strap before you touch anything. its always a good idea to get grounded before working on the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom