Cross-over Cable...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdsturman

Beta member
Hi All!
I'm currently in the middle of the Kuwaiti Desert and need some help to relieve some of the stress/boredom. I have a crossover cable and think that I have to do some thing to our laptops for them to work in tandem while playing a multi-player game (IP adresses/gateways).
I don't think that it's just a matter of plugging in the cable and start gaming...We both have Panasonic Toughbooks that run Windows 2000. Please HELP before we go INSANE!!!!!!

are you talking about just networking 2 computers? if so all you need to do is connect them witht he crossover cable (what standard are you using? i can tell you the xact wire map you will need) if you are only using 2 comps, you just need ot connect them and then set it up in your network under control panel (start->settings->control panel->network and dial up connections)

deathangel, yes, just connecting two laptops for multiplayer gaming between the two. Made a cross-over per the instructions and wire map from <littlewhitedog.com>. Will give it a try. Thanx.

Thanx again, dethangel! Being a govt contractor, here in Kuwait, we're using the orange, blue, green & brown cat5. The wire map at <littlewhitedog.com> showed my exact cable so assembling was a snap! Take $20.00 from pety cash and the rest of the day off! <littleBLACKdog.com>, hmmm...coincidence...I think not!!

so you got it working? and btw are you in the computers field in the military? or do you just use em for fun?

dethangel, I'm now in the computer field. Am a carpenter by trade with some computer skills. Ex-military. Will be in the desert (living in a tent) for 7 more months. Am responsible for the Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) system used to track logistics movement in support of Operation Iraqi/Enduring Freedom. Similar to Fed/Ex tracking, with a few twists. Am using my laptop more for bordom relief than anything else! Our system is very much "computer based", however.

ahh well then if you do any networking you will be using the EIA/TIA 568A standard which (for a stright through cable) goes:

[o=orng g=green b=blue r=brown w=white]

wg
g
wo
b
wb
o
wr
r

on both ends, if you ever end up having to make any cables this is the standard i would farmiliarize myself with

as opposed to EIA/TIA 568B which is what most IT professionals/businesse use:

wo
o
wg
b
wb
g
wr
r

my best friend Darius was in the Marines (he did computer networking, he just got home from Japan) had taught me much about computers, if you ever wanted to get into the industry, right now is the best time (for you) since they will pay for ur school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom