What is wrong with my screen, colors are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyluli

Baseband Member
Hi all. I was working away on my computer when all the sudden the right side of my computer screen went weird on colors. It looks all faded and greenish. The left side of the monitor looks fine. Also, another weird thing is when I use Printkey to try and take a picture of what the screen looks like, the picture comes out clear with the correct colors....
What do you think the problem is? Video card? Monitor?

I'm running Windows XP with a pentium 2 GHZ processor. Video card is a 128MB Nvidia card. Monitor is a 19" Viewsonic.

move any electrical device away fromt the monitor like
fans
speakers
florecent lights
radio
anything containing a magnet

look for a Degauss button on the monitor or in the monitors settings using the buttons or Menue button on the monitor.

there doesn't sound like there is a problem with your pc or vid. card.

the problem is definatly your monitor. the first thing to check is if there are any bent pins in the VGA adapter. loss of pins result in loss of colors. if all the pins are there... then it could be the tube itself (provided that this is a CRT and not a TFT/LCD.

is the monitor a CRT? or a TFT/LCD?

how old is this monitor?

There are no electronics near the monitor. The speakers are above on the top shelf and the subwoofer is on the floor.

The monitor is a CRT. It is about 2-3 years old.

Oddly, the color is suddenly back to normal for the moment. I have no idea why as I have not done anything with the monitor yet. I have to wonder if the problem will come back.

may be time to start looking for a new monitor... either the monitor cable got loose a bit or the monitor is going bad.

eventually the problem will come back, maybe tomorrow, maybe next year don't know.

Just FYI, the PrtScn button prints what your system is displaying, not what the monitor is painting on the glass. If you had taken a screenshot and the screenshot was messed up, that would mean your monitor was fine and your graphics card was messed up.

Try what TheMajor and Roshi said. You can also try phasing your monitor (ie - switch resolutions to "snap" the monitor gun) but that rarely helps.

Yer probably looking at a paperweight, man. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom