Advantage of USB Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
ps/2 will be here for a while. Mabye in the future, all periferals will connect through one plug (usb 3.0?) including keyboards, mice, flash disks, or anything that currently goes through ps/2, usb or firewire. It will be hot swappable and be compatible with usb 1,2,firewire,ps/2 as long as you have an adapter.

TheMajor said:
The annoying green thing that pops up when using USB devices. Driver problems when using different devices on same port. Crappy USB DSL modems. Waiting for the damn modem to connect. I had bad bad experience with USB. Nothing ever seems to work properly when using a lot of devices. Dunno why, maybe I've been doin something wrong. The most annoying thing is that a lot of USB hardware comes with extremely crappy drivers with crappy annoying, useless programs that run in your system tray.

My guess is that you've had these "bad USB experiences" because of how outdated your computer is. Your computer must be the first or very near the first pc to come with USB. Issues can be expected in such a situation...(Not to mention the possibility of various other hardware conflicts with such old parts.)

But then again, maybe that's not it...and USB just hates you :D.

Well, if you have a slow processor, your USB mouse is going to have some problems over PS/2. With PS/2, the data rate is much slower...and for most people the "feel" is indistiguishable. However, if you're like more or one of the other countless people who require very sensitive, fine input devices, the USB connection is the only way. I can turn up the optical rate of my mouse and get much smoother, more responsive results, and I can only get those high speeds through USB. Plug that sucker into PS/2 at high speed, and it's doomed.

As for Windows popping up icons and balloons each time you connect something, well, that's most customizable. You can turn the balloons off, as can you most of the sys-tray icons. Personally, though, I like knowing that Windows has detected what I just plugged in without having to go open MyComputer or something to see what happened.

I never use out-of-box drivers for any device I buy. Nearly all of the time, those drivers are out of date or were shipped before some major bug was discovered and thus don't work. If Windows can't detect and run the device with its own driver database (rare) then a quick trip to the manuf. website usually sorts things out.

On your machine, though, TheMajor...I can understand why you have problems with USB.

As I said before. I don't use my USB ports on this IBM. TheMajorMMX did not have USB. It has now, but I haven't tested it yet.

Cool.

I bought a combo card for my new comp. Has 6 USB ports and 2 firewire ports, plus internal sockets. (DIdn't really need it, though, as the mobo I have has 6 ports on it to begin with! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom