Installing new hdd in new computer question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I finally decided to build my own computer but have a question. I thought you just put in a new hard drive and installed the os. The seagate hdd that I want to buy has a discwizard starter edition disc. Do I really need this to get started or can I just do the os. What are the benefits of the starter disc? Is there any good site on the science of building your own computer that tells you the best steps in putting it together? Thanks.

Is the hard drive ide or sata? If it is sata you will need a floppy with the drives to install the os. The cd that you are talking about most likely is a cd with tools to remormat and partition the drive. Each company has a cd that is used for that, or you can dl the files form their web page.

if it is a sata hdd, then u should have received a cd (windows installation) and a 3 1/2 diskette (dos installation). the cd is not necessary for the system to detect the hdd, however windows will not be able to detect it without the drivers from the 3 1/2 diskette. check it man.

Yep, your motherboard should have (unless it predates SATA) a floppy with all the neccesary drivers. During the Windows Install, for a few seconds you should see a prompt that says "press F6 to install mass storage device drivers" or something similar. You have to watch closely because it doesn't hang on this option.

Press F6, insert the disk, and everything should work fine. If you do not have the disk, you should be able to download the appropriate drivers from the motherboard manufacturer site, and then just copy them to a floppy.

So you are saying that I use this disc during the process of installing xp?? It is a cd that I have that they said I could download and then use. Am I understanding correctly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom