User setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoff81

Beta member
I have a question? I am running XP Pro sp2. I am setup as admin and my daughters have their login(Limited ACCT). What I want to know is if there is a way to control what programs load on their desktop and what loads on mine. Any suggestion would be appreciated. This also means desktop icons and system tray as well.

Thanks in advance

Lugoff81

If you dont want programs on thier desktop, you can pin to start menu instead of putting shortcuts on your desktop. I cant figure out why some shortcuts show up on both(or more) sides and some dont.

As somewhat an alternative to what IAM_7154 says, you could always just leave the icons on the desktop and just change the access privileges via the administrator account, so they can't get into that program.

The easiest way for you to go about this is go to her account with admin rights, install everything you think she will need, put the icons where you want, load the programs that you want to start on her account, then go back and set it to limited. How familiar are you with XP and how to configure gpedit.msc? Use can screw your system up if you don't know what you are doing. What you do in there applies for all the accounts so be careful. Don't quote me on " What you do in there applies for all the accounts: but I did this once thinking it would be just the limited account since that's where I was configuring it from, nope. It went to all accounts, I locked it down so much, I had to reinstall. But that's how you learn. So se what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom