VMware/VirtualPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
killians45 said:
VMWare emulates other os's. When you run it, a small window pops up (it can be maximized) and it literally looks like the computer restarts! Shows the boot up and everything. Its like a computer running INSIDE your computer. Its not just like a nomral compatability mode, its intent is to not make it a shell, but trick into thinking another os IS actually running. Using it, well... trial and error I'm sorry to say. To much there to explain. ;)

I want to run DOS in VMware or MS Virtual PC. How?

download it, get ur ms dos install cd or disk, boot the disks after you load ur floppy or cd, and run ur bios setup utility from the VMWARE or VPC, for vpc on mine its the delete key and set ur boot drive.

nope, the VMWare will have a list of avail o/s and it will create a virtual environement to boot to. It will open a window and show as if your computer is just booting (in this window, windows is still in the back ground). It will boot to what ever os you have choosen in the menu. It has to mount a virtual drive and so it handles all the partition (it segments a part of the HDD off) for you.

Download VMWare first, should have help files to run it and it will tell you supported os and versions, I would help ya out more on this but haven't used it in a LONG time, and only for one particular game (for memory reasons). I was wanting to play some of the old Ultima games on XP, and worked fine :) Just keep in mind you'll have to brush up on managing VMM (memory management) and manipulating the DOS environement again. Don't know about the rest, but I remember ALOT about DOS and the advanced stuff. Probably from configuring alot of routers and such that, to me, remind me of a Dos environment... however, I haven't configured auto and config stuff in a very long time. So EMM and other memory configs may be a pain. Like I said, it'll be JUST like you have Dos. No windows management of memory and resources, you'll have to manually enter info for cards (like the IRQ and other resources, like DMA channels). God, have I gotten so lazy?? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom