I cant install games anymore..PLease help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gizmo90

In Runtime
wen i insert a game cd it'l bring up this error and it says this.

-16 bit Windows Subsystem-

C:/Windows/System32/Autoexec.NT The system file is not suitable
for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Im running Win XP Home Edition

Its wierd....i cant install any games or play them. please help me!
Thanx for any help:confused:

Reformatting is *a* solution to 99% of software-based problems, but is it the best? Not usually...

When you run a DOS program in XP, it first executes autoexec.NT (which is essentially equivalent to autoexec.bat) in order to set environment variables and load CD-ROM drivers and things of that nature.

I would open up this Autoexec.NT file in Notepad, and have a look inside, see what it contains.

If you are familiar with DOS, you should be comfortable with this, and may be able to discover where the problem lies.

If you're not, then what you can do is cut/paste the text within that file here, and somebody will probably be happy to analyze it for you. It would also help if you could provide detailed hardware specs, including your sound card and video drivers. Also make a note of any hardware or software changes you have recently made.

Mind you, it could be because you are using an E-Machine... and if that's the case, reformatting won't even help. :p

you have some damaged files. try this, it'll reregister the needed files, hopefully ;). Start/run/cmd

then type the following (oh yeah, put in the windows xp cd but dont let it autorun):

expand D:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
expand D:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
expand D:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
exit

Im assuming, by the way, that c:\ is the system drive (in case of dual boot) and the D:\ is the cdrom. Let me know if this works, there are other things you can do. I'll check technet to find some info then and give the hyperlink.

ok I am having same problem but I have noticed that this only happens when trying to install older stuff??

vm ware

ok I'm willing to try anything what is VMware where do I get it and how do I use it?????:D :D

VMWare emulates other os's. When you run it, a small window pops up (it can be maximized) and it literally looks like the computer restarts! Shows the boot up and everything. Its like a computer running INSIDE your computer. Its not just like a nomral compatability mode, its intent is to not make it a shell, but trick into thinking another os IS actually running. Using it, well... trial and error I'm sorry to say. To much there to explain. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom