Overclocking The BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, I've never heard of increasing voltage to any of the bridges for any reason.

Actually this is the first thing he's gotten right.

When you're overclocking your overall system FSB then yes you do have to raise the North bridge voltage for system stability.

I just ordered an aftermarket NB heatsink for that very reason. I will be going beyond my motherboards stock 400FSB up to hopefully around 480. This will require more voltage to the North bridge for stability sake

EDIT: Can I have his job? :p

When you're overclocking your overall system FSB then yes you do have to raise the North bridge voltage for system stability.
Hmm, I never knew that, I presume you only increase the voltage once the FSB gets raised quite high? I've never increased the FSB very high except for a few rare occasions, and I've found I've never had to increase voltage to any of the bridges before. I'll keep this in mind for the future, thanks mate. :p

Nubius said:
Actually this is the first thing he's gotten right.

I just ordered an aftermarket NB heatsink for that very reason. I will be going beyond my motherboards stock 400FSB up to hopefully around 480. This will require more voltage to the North bridge for stability sake

EDIT: Can I have his job? :p

I think we could come to some sort of an arrangement.

I presume you only increase the voltage once the FSB gets raised quite high?
Yeah, you got it :D Well like, my motherboard, socket A, is only capable of 400FSB max, so I of course need to have a 400FSB CPU ( I know you know this stuff just follow along a little more :D) and of course some PC3200 DDR400 RAM...now that thats taken care of...I'll start raising the CPU FSB from 200 and go on up.

Really unless you are overclocking the RAM though meaning keeping the CPU:RAM at a 1:1 ratio then its pointless to overclock the CPU FSB past 200 if your RAM will simply bottleneck it.

Anyway, you generally won't need to raise your NB voltage until you start getting to like 220 - 440FSB and then you'll probably have to raise it a knotch.

With the RAM I'm getting it's rated by the company at DDR400 = 2-2-2-5 timings or DDR533 at 3-4-4-8 timings, of course most reviews I've seen the RAM hit DDR533 with even tighter timings, but the company GUARANTEES it to run at DDR533 with 3-4-4-8 although it may go tighter.

I'm hoping to hit 240MHz or a total system fsb of 480 which will require probably 1.8-1.9 NB Voltage and stock voltage is 1.6

The stock NB cooler is never enough though. That's why I'm getting this:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/minochcokit.html

4W4K3 showed me of that little beauty. MOSFET and PLL chips to cover ALL the voltage regulation chips for maximum heat dissipation ;)

I think we could come to some sort of an arrangement.
That'd be awesome, and for once you guys could get correct information :p

Nubius said:
That'd be awesome, and for once you guys could get correct information :p

I hope the information is correct! I don't know how much more overclocking my hard drive can take! ;)

lol well from the information he was telling you then your hard drive should be dead already

It makes a lot of noise. Clicks, bangs, you name it. But it does still work. He told me the reason it makes this noise is because the hard drive is in hibernation mode? The noise started a few days after he told me to raise the P.C.I. BUS.

Did you actually raise the PCI bus? Clicking and banging generally is the sign of a failing drive or one on the verge of death.

Either way, it sounds like he's making excuses for wrecking some options in your computer or something because a hard drive should be silent, not clicking, in any case, whether it be benching the HD, Hibernating, what have you

He demanded that the P.C.I. BUS should be set at 100 MHZ. But everytime it went above 80 MHZ, the system would instantly shutdown. He said it is a good sign when the system shuts off because that means that it is storing the new settings into the C.P.U. which could be possible but I don't understand why the screen would come up all scrambled. The system had unexpected hangs after. Still does.

Yeah, you got it Well like, my motherboard, socket A, is only capable of 400FSB max, so I of course need to have a 400FSB CPU ( I know you know this stuff just follow along a little more ) and of course some PC3200 DDR400 RAM...now that thats taken care of...I'll start raising the CPU FSB from 200 and go on up.

Really unless you are overclocking the RAM though meaning keeping the CPU:RAM at a 1:1 ratio then its pointless to overclock the CPU FSB past 200 if your RAM will simply bottleneck it.

Anyway, you generally won't need to raise your NB voltage until you start getting to like 220 - 440FSB and then you'll probably have to raise it a knotch.

With the RAM I'm getting it's rated by the company at DDR400 = 2-2-2-5 timings or DDR533 at 3-4-4-8 timings, of course most reviews I've seen the RAM hit DDR533 with even tighter timings, but the company GUARANTEES it to run at DDR533 with 3-4-4-8 although it may go tighter.

I'm hoping to hit 240MHz or a total system fsb of 480 which will require probably 1.8-1.9 NB Voltage and stock voltage is 1.6

The stock NB cooler is never enough though. That's why I'm getting this:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/minochcokit.html

4W4K3 showed me of that little beauty. MOSFET and PLL chips to cover ALL the voltage regulation chips for maximum heat dissipation
Nice, post the results here once you get it all up and running smoothly. I think I am probably going to OC my new CPU once I get it like never before, so it's important that I found out about this now to save me a few headaches. :p

He demanded that the P.C.I. BUS should be set at 100 MHZ. But everytime it went above 80 MHZ, the system would instantly shutdown. He said it is a good sign when the system shuts off because that means that it is storing the new settings into the C.P.U. which could be possible but I don't understand why the screen would come up all scrambled. The system had unexpected hangs after. Still does.
Might be a longshot, but your PC shutting down could actually even be the melt protection system kicking in. Pretty scary eh? I would hate to think what has happened to your computer after taking advice like that, if you have any questions about anything though just post it here, I gurantee you'll get mighty good answers here, without paying 10k a year for some "techinical support" guy. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom