Disk Boot Failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
devices 0 master and 1 master typically will signify that 2 dif. cables.

make sure that the hard drive is on a cable all by it self.
second i would make sure that the jumper is in the master position... there should be a chart on the lable of your hard drive, if not the maker of the hard drive should have the jumper settings for that model on thier web site.

second make sure that the dvd and cdrom's are set (i would recomend the following) dvd rom as master and cd rom as slave on the same cable.

if your motherboard designates one IDE plug as 0 or primary use that for the HD, and the secondary for the removable storage. if they are not labled they may be dif. in color... typically one will be blue or something... that will be primary.

if that does not work, try to find an old (working) HD or borrow a friends (someone you trust as you want a safe hard drive free of infections) and try a dif. hard drive...

just to complicate matters i will say you can test the IDE cable and connectors by swapping the cables for the cdrom + dvdrom with the HD and see if it still detects them... to rule out the possibility that only one cable is working.

let me know if/when you've tried all this.

thanks

I will tell that i had the same problem with a HD that i took out of an HP comuter...bios would not recognize it. I tried everything...believe me. i went and bought a new seagate and it worked like a charm.

No, man, I HAVE to have that HD. Its out of question that I get a new one. Im about to try those things here in a little bit.

By the way I would like to say I have had that HD for about 2-3 years and it has gave me no trouble. It was out of the computer for about 20-30 seconds so I know nothing happened to it.

If you worried about the files on the drive what i did was when i finally got my new HD and windows installed I plugged in the old drive as a slave and then took everything i needed off. I guess windows can recognize a drive without BIOS recognizing it on boot up

Thanks freenet. I have an old spare like 3GB HD that im going to try to boot from, I swapped the IDE cables for the brand new ones that came with the mobo and still the exact same thing... I just dont feel like buying an entire new drive, but if I booted from the 3gb one and installed winxp on it, couldnt I just keep my 120 for a permanent slave and use it all the time? I mean I have used up 90GB worth of space on it and it has a ton of my industrial type programs installed on it. Thanks for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom