Overclocking The BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure? I don't mean to doubt you, its just that this technician has been helping us for years. I am positive that he said that overclocking the BIOS or through the BIOS will make the hard drive spin faster, forcing the C.P.U. to run faster so that it doesn't lag behind. The technician works for a major support organization.
I'm positive. I don't know where he works, but if he was my tech employee I'd have him fired for such heracy.

YOU CAN NOT make the hard drive spin faster. It's just not possible. I don't know what you heard or what he said, but I'm telling you right here, you can't do it.

Your hard drive is as is....there is no modifications done to them, no overclockin, no nothing.

And again, you CAN NOT overclock the BIOS..you overclock your CPU THROUGH the BIOS but overclocking the CPU has nothing to do with your hard drive spinning speeds.

And the idea of making the HD spin faster to force the CPU to run faster is ridiculous.

You go into the BIOS to raise your clock speed of the CPU meaning if you have a 2GHz CPU you can run it at 2.5GHz that'd be overclocking.

Shumway said:
What's your spec's for your system?

Anthlon

Nubius said:
You can't click on the BIOS either. It's software dude, it's something that's run. It's loaded up at the beginning of booting up. You need to hit like DEL or F12 to enter into the BIOS and in there you can change settings to OC your CPU, RAM, and things of that nature.

You can't overclock a HD, there's no such thing. Their motors spin at a specific speed, and due to the hardware of the HD and the ribbons that transfer data it can only go as fast as it's rated.

Are you sure? I don't mean to doubt you, its just that this technician has been helping us for years. I am positive that he said that overclocking the BIOS or through the BIOS will make the hard drive spin faster, forcing the C.P.U. to run faster so that it doesn't lag behind. The technician works for a major support organization.

Nubius said:
but overclocking the CPU has nothing to do with your hard drive spinning speeds.

Then how can you overclock? I thought there was a certain ratio between the C.P.U. and the hard drive? Forgive me if I am incorrect as I am quite new to the "computer world".

No, theres a ratio between the CPU and RAM. There's a ratio for CPU:AGP:pCI busses, there's a clock FSB and multiplier, none of which has anything to do with a hard drive.

Seriously if that guy told you there was a ratio between the CPU and HD he really needs to be fired.

You overclock by raising your CPU's FSB in the BIOS.

That's just the bare minimum basic. I suggest you look at the 'Overclocking Basics' sticky thread at the top of the forums.

I'm moving this to the overclocking section seeing as it's overclocking and not a hardware specific question.

Yeah, that "tech" guy is really, really...wrong.

The CPU is overclocked through the BIOS increasing the FSB as Nubius mentioned. For example, if you are running a 200mhz FSB with a multiplier of 10, you will get a clock speed of 2Ghz, increase the FSB to 210, and you get your clock speed increased to 2100mhz.

The thing is that I don't need a faster C.P.U. or R.A.M. I need to increase the speed of the actual hard drive itself so that the entire system runs faster.

P.S. I looked in my notes and the technician said that if I overclock THROUGH the BIOS, it will force the hard drive's motor to spin at 10, 000 RPM. If I overclock THROUGH the BIOS even further (which requires "aftermarket" cooling) the hard drive's motor will spin at 15, 000 RPM.

Where does this tech work? Most of the time the techies for computer related problems really don't know a damn thing.

They have a computer infront of them that they type in whats going wrong with your computer or your specific question and it'll bring up the most probable scenarios with a walkthrough guide.

I've never come across a techie who's actually known what the hell they were talking about.

A ratio between CPU and HD...whew....that's REALLY bad info

P.S. I looked in my notes and the technician said that if I overclock THROUGH the BIOS, it will force the hard drive's motor to spin at 10, 000 RPM. If I overclock THROUGH the BIOS even further (which requires "aftermarket" cooling) the hard drive's motor will spin at 15, 000 RPM
All BS dude, simple as that.

A 7200 RPM hard drive spins only at 7200 RPM..nothing more.

As I said, he obviously doesn't know anything about computers and should be terminated

EDIT: The system doesn't run faster due to a faster hard drive. Games load quicker and files copy faster because the disks can spin faster on like a 10,000RPM hard drive, but it's the CPU, and RAM when increased that make your overall system run faster.

Well I'll gladly take that paycheck and replace him.

EDIT: Not to put anyone down or anything San, but seriously he's giving out completely bogus information.

I deal with all kinds of questions every day and I've never heard of anyone telling someone else they can raise a hard drive speed.

That's like saying with a little modding you can make a dremel work at 60,000RPM instead of 30. It's all in the motor that's in the hard drive. There's nothing you can do to simply speed it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom