I am online, but I can't browse

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsteg

Baseband Member
recently I installed the microsoft spyware removal tool and it removed the spywares i had on the computer. The next day when i restarted the computer, I was able to log onto AIM, but I couldn't browse the internet. Everytime i went to a site, i would get a pop up error saying "iau.exe" is missing or something like that. I have no idea what iau.exe belongs to. If i knew, i would reinstall that program. lol.

help!

(i'm using the pc at work)

I'm not familiar with the MS spyware removal tool but I wouldn't trust it yet. Is there a way to revert the removal?
Use AdawareSE. It does the job. There are others for spyware/virus removal...
Spybot
Stinger
CWshredder
Housecall

maybe i shouldn't have used it. a friend of mine recommended me the program and told me its really good, well too bad it doesn't work well with me.

so i went on google and searched and it happens to be that iau.exe is a file of microsoft internet acceleration utility. supposedly its a spyware but i don't see how removing it will actually help me since the MS spyware tried to do so in the first place.

Try this: Boot into Safe Mode, then after you delete the keys, if they are present, run spy-bot and adaware.

Click Start > Run.
Type regedit

Then click OK.

Navigate to the keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

In the right pane, delete the values:

"Microsoft Internet Acceleration Utility"="iau.exe"
"Internet Connection Wizard"="stisvsq.exe"
"Games Acceleration"="svshost.exe"
"Internet Mail and News"="msqdevl.exe"
"Microsoft Management Console"="lssas.exe"
"Multimedia extensions"="mservice.exe"

Navigate to the key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

In the right pane, delete the following values:

"ProxyServer"="127.0.0.1:8080"
"ProxyOverride"="local"

Exit the registry editor.

ok i fixed the problem.

i deleted those files, but not your way though. i went and used HijackThis and manually deleted the files in the windows folder. now i'm back online. thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom